Suspension upgrades 2003-2005

H

Hayuk!

Last seen
Hello everybody!

New to the forum. I've had lots of fun reading up on the '02-'05 Thunderbirds. Has anybody replaced their shocks/struts? I am looking for something a little firmer. My '04 Pacific Coast (#221) only has 23,000 miles on it, but it seems a little loose, especially in the rear. I am not interested in lowering the suspension. I would like to keep the stock springs and install firmer shocks. All I've been able to find are OEM spec KYBs or coil-overs that slam the car down too much. I appreciate all your wisdom and shared experience.

rickc

June 2020 Moderator Note- Check out this thread for shocks/struts- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-sway-bars-tie-rods-2002-2003-2004-2005.9490/

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure this will help you too much, but I essentially rebuilt the rear suspension of my 2004 Thunderbird last summer. I was only trying to address some squeaks from the bushings, but since it is an all aluminum set up I had to replace entire components. I’m the first to admit that I over-repaired things. My thought was that since things were already torn apart, why not replace all the components? New shocks, stabilizer bar, toe links, etc. I used all OEM parts. Naturally the squeaks went away, but the change in handling was incredible. I had roughly 51,000 miles at the time he work was done. The car handles like new now. Things wear out, either from use or from age, and the service I did made a huge difference. Lots of lifetime warranty on the components now, too.

I’m not sure this will help you too much, but I essentially rebuilt the rear suspension of my 2004 Thunderbird last summer. I was only trying to address some squeaks from the bushings, but since it is an all aluminum set up I had to replace entire components. I’m the first to admit that I over-repaired things. My thought was that since things were already torn apart, why not replace all the components? New shocks, stabilizer bar, toe links, etc. I used all OEM parts. Naturally the squeaks went away, but the change in handling was incredible. I had roughly 51,000 miles at the time he work was done. The car handles like new now. Things wear out, either from use or from age, and the service I did made a huge difference. Lots of lifetime warranty on the components now, too.
Super! I have some hearing loss, so I'm not sure if I've got squeaky bushings. When I can get the car on a lift, like to Borla the exhaust (heh, heh), I'll take a close look at the suspension. Thanks!

Hello everybody!

New to the forum. I've had lots of fun reading up on the '02-'05 Thunderbirds. Has anybody replaced their shocks/struts? I am looking for something a little firmer. My '04 Pacific Coast (#221) only has 23,000 miles on it, but it seems a little loose, especially in the rear. I am not interested in lowering the suspension. I would like to keep the stock springs and install firmer shocks. All I've been able to find are OEM spec KYBs or coil-overs that slam the car down too much. I appreciate all your wisdom and shared experience.

rickc
I had all my stock suspension replace 4 years ago went all stock equipment, it wasn't cheap but it did the job, everything was replaced

Hi....I have a 2004 and had to do a full suspension replacement. Their seems to be only two shock manufactures for our cars, Monroe and KYB. I chose KYB as it firmed up the road handling very nicely.

Stew S

When considering strut, loaded struts are the way most good shops are going when available. The reason you get new springs as well as new struts and all the other components. spring do sag and wear out.

Back