strange odor

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dchamb

Last seen
hey george and others. when i take off hard in my 02, something causes an odor as maybe oil, trans fluid, immediately, as if the high revs are slinging something out (which is obviously the case). nothing checks low however, i don't do it since i realized it was slinging something out. also, i can't find any oily areas where it is landing.

hey george and others. when i take off hard in my 02, something causes an odor as maybe oil, trans fluid, immediately, as if the high revs are slinging something out (which is obviously the case). nothing checks low however, i don't do it since i realized it was slinging something out. also, i can't find any oily areas where it is landing.

Dave:

I don't have that happening however, years ago I used to, and it was always something getting onto the hot exhaust.

I see you said you cannot see any oily substance, buy have you had the car serviced lately?
Are all caps on tight???
Other than that, I'm confused but keep us tuned in

its been 2 or 3 months since service. i told the "lubrication engineer" as he jokingly calls himself about it and he said he would take a close look when he gets it on the lift again. he said a valve (pcv i believe he said) can malfunction and the crankcase will be perssurized as a result and this will sometimes cause oil to be pushed out. he really is a competent mechanic that readily admits that he isn't really current on these cars. i have ony looked on the top of the engine so i don't know about underneath.
when you had oil on the exaust where was it coming from?

....my guess is, you have a leaking valve cover(s)....starts out as a seep and on to the exhaust manifold. It will eventually leave a drip on the floor, I could also see the oil smoke as it hit the exhaust manifold just before I had it repaired.....a common issue.

Dave: Any results?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back