2004 Stiff steering

M

matsberg

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello
My 2004 bird has a very stiff steering, It feels that I don´t have any Power sreering. I hav tried to do full right and left steering and there is a week noice ehen full steering.
Any hints`

Mats Östberg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have similar issues with my 2002 and the dealer keeps saying that is the way it is supposed to feel. However, prior to having the FEM replaced it was even worse. So much so I thought I was driving semi without power steering. The new FEM lightened it up quite a bit.

I have similar issues with my 2002 and the dealer keeps saying that is the way it is supposed to feel. However, prior to having the FEM replaced it was even worse. So much so I thought I was driving semi without power steering. The new FEM lightened it up quite a bit.
Whats a FEM?

Our Tbirds have speed sensitive steering. I had the problem you mentioned and it was the start of other small issues One the FEM was replaced those problems we gone.

Hello

New member here. Just took ownership of an 02 Thunderbird. I bought it new for my mother way back when. She can't drive anymore, so it is now my wife's car..... It has 6000 miles on it.....

Put new tires on it, changed the oil, and drove it from Chicago to Boston. No problems until we got within 1 mile of home. Then the power steering died.

There are no other FEM related issues - all the switches, lights etc work. I checked for any OBDII codes, and there are none.

So that leads to my question - is the "c1925" code an OBD code or is it a Ford specific code that is pulled using a ford-specific code reader at a special diagnostic connector?

TIA for any help!

Dave

Front Electronic Module. It controls all the dash lights, etc. It also seems it can have an affect on the electric steering. Hard to find part and expensive.

I had to have the FEM replaced on my 2002 Bird and yes, it is very hard to find and between $750 to $1000 for it. My dealer picked up the cost since he assured me all was good with the car. Back to the original question. It also improved the steering of the car as prior to replacement its steering was heavier than a semi without power steering. Yah, I drove some of those.

Understood - I was gonna remove the module and send it out for repair. But I want to see if I get a code first, and need to know if I should see a code using a normal obdII reader or if I need a ford-specific reader

Understood - I was gonna remove the module and send it out for repair. But I want to see if I get a code first, and need to know if I should see a code using a normal obdII reader or if I need a ford-specific reader
My Ford dealer said there were no codes showing yet I had all the symptoms of a bad FEM. After it was replaced I had no more issues.

here is what my manual says

Attachments

• fem removal.pdf
    440.3 KB · Views: 9
Yes, that confirms what my Ford dealer said.
Did you ask the Ford dealer if this is plug and play or does it need to be reprogrammed. I have my old one and was thinking of getting it repaired as a spare.

Did you ask the Ford dealer if this is plug and play or does it need to be reprogrammed. I have my old one and was thinking of getting it repaired as a spare.

They have to be reprogrammed according to my dealer, but, they have been wrong on a couple of things.

I have very stiff steering, but none of the other problems that others mention. Ideas??

Is the steering always stiff or are there times that is it ok. These cars have speed sensitive steering. The steering is supposed to get stiff on the freeway but when you slow down it is supposed to go back to normal. If yours is always stiff maybe there is an issue with the power steering unit.

Is the steering always stiff or are there times that is it ok. These cars have speed sensitive steering. The steering is supposed to get stiff on the freeway but when you slow down it is supposed to go back to normal. If yours is always stiff maybe there is an issue with the power steering unit.
Yikes! Ok, thanks, Gus.

Have anybody tried Auto Ecm Computer Exchange, for reparing the F:E:M? There is hard to find any who could reprogram the unit.

Back