2002 tilt steering column stuck in high tilt position

TBBLUE02

TBBLUE02

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know how to manually tilt the steering column downward? Mine is stuck in the highest tilt position. It is not the fuse and the gearing for the inward / outward motion is bad. Thanks, Larry

I’ve experienced this and several similar issues. Try disconnecting the positive terminal of the battery for a few minutes then reconnect. Make certain there is no key in the ignition and windows up. I think this resets the computer, but it has solved tilt/telescoping steering wheel issues as well as window off-set issues as you open close the door.

My mother-in-law's 2002 tilt feature stopped working. Her local garage researched it and said they thought they could fix it for $1300.

I read this post and tried the battery disconnect. The tilt-tele is working now but I nearly had a heart attack because then the glass-drop would only go down. Fortunately the manual p58 explained how to 'calibrate' the glass drop. The glass-drop, idle and transmission shift all go out of calibration when the battery is disconnected or replaced.

Does anyone know how to disconnect the "easy exit" feature that moves the tilt-tele to its limit every time the key is removed? That feature is not needed and the parts to repair it are not available.

Thanks for the advice and information. The ebay ads did not list s specific year, just a range: 03-06. I wonder if the switch is the same in all these years.

Hi I am wondering the same my column will not adjust up or down only in and out. I can't even drive it in the position it's in. I was told it was the switch . No one has any for the Tbird or Lincoln LS . Can anyone please get back to me about t this ? Thank you and stay safe....

Last edited by a moderator:
So I bought this beautiful 2002 T Bird from a local dealership. Two days later the up/down function of the tilt steering wheel stops working. Motor engages but the wheel is sitting in the lowest position and will not move up and down. It does work in and out. I took to a local Ford dealer and was told the gear is stripped and Ford does not stock the parts anymore. Any thoughts? Any way to get the steering wheel into fixed position higher up? It's really annoying because the steering now sits between my knees and I have to physically push it up to get in and out of the car.

Dealership was not able to help - their costs would have been more. I went to a local auto repair shop and they ended up having to replace the whole steering column - lots of electronics involved. They had to get a used one from a salvage yard. Total cost of parts and labor was about $800! Make sure the repair shop gets the correct compatible model year year of a Lincoln LS. Not all years will work. If you ae in the Detroit I can give you the repair shop number. A trusted honest shop.

Back