steering box questions for my ‘64 convertible

H

HBS

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi
I have to replace my steering box on my ‘64 convertible and I have a few questions.
1. Would you rebuild the box or buy a rebuilt one?
2. Any recommendations on where I should buy parts?
3. Do I need to replace pitman arm?

Thanks
Herb

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi
I have to replace my steering box on my ‘64 convertible and I have a few questions.

Thanks
Herb
What exactly is the problem that makes you think you need to rebuild it?

A few problems were pointed out to me.
1. The steering wheel has tremendous play in it.
2. The car feels like it’s on skates .
3. The steering box has been checked to see if any of the play could be tightened.

Hi

Thanks
Herb
You're not really going to know what you'll need for parts until it's disassembled. If you're not planning to rebuild it yourself I would just buy a rebuilt one. Then you will have some warranty.

Hi

Thanks
Herb
Hi Herb. Wondering if the rest of the steering gear has been checked to rule out excessive play? Would be a shame to replace the steering box if the problem is elsewhere.

Doug

We will check rest of system.
But , does anyone have a recommendation as to
where to buy box.
And , do I need to replace pitman arm.

You can wiggle the steering linkage and see if the pitman arm is loose. But it's not that expensive so you could just go ahead and replace it too.

Hey, rebuilding your box is the easy part. The hard part is “setting up” or properly adjusting the box after assembly. If you do not have a 1964 TBird Shop Manual, get one.
It’s a very technical/difficult procedure to do. I highly recommend buying a rebuilt box, and getting the seller to guarantee that it is properly adjusted BEFORE he ships it to you.
If the box is not adjusted, the steering wheel will turn one direction or the other, all by its self. The car won’t go straight.

Back