Squeaking Steering Wheel groan

I did the fluid change and it solved the squeak permanently. You will want 2 quarts of full synthetic fluid. I pulled the lower hose off the reservoir and drained it into a container. I then started the engine with the hose off and briefly turned the wheel to push out the rest of the fluid. I put the hose back on and filled it up - started the engine and topped it off. Then I turned the steering hard lock to lock bouncing it off the stops MANY times. I then repeated the process a couple times until the noise was gone.

I own an 03 bird (65k) and have noticed that the steering wheel emits a squeak when turning right or left. It sounds like rubber on rubber? I contacted the previous owner who said that it had always been that way and was a common issue but nothing to worry about. My question is: Do other owners have this issue? What if anything can be done to quiet the squeaking? What is the cause of this?
I have a 1990 that squeaks on and off. If I am going slow it squeaks but faster than about 30 not at all. It comes and goes. Started again about a week ago

I have a 2003 that has an annoying squeak in the steering wheel that is not noticeable in the summer weather but has come back now that it is winter cold. It is caused by the spiral contact ring under the steering wheel. It can be repaired for about $200. The steering wheel must be removed. No luck trying to spray lubricant into the area. It does not effect the steering or ride of the car but it annoys me a lot and I will have it corrected.

I was informed that this annoying sound is due to the steering angle sensor behind the steering wheel. I am trying to locate the part. Help ?

Ford had a recall on this,
TSB

06-5-16
  • STEERING GEAR SQUEAK WHEN TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL DURING LOW SPEED PARKING MANEUVERS
Publication Date: March 7, 2006
FORD:
2003-2005 Thunderbird
LINCOLN:
2003-2005 Lincoln LS, Aviator

This article supersedes TSB 4-10-1 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some 2003-2005 Thunderbird, Aviator, and Lincoln LS vehicles may exhibit steering gear squeak when turning the steering wheel, especially during low speed parking maneuvers. The noise may sound like it is coming from the steering column area and may be felt as a roughness in the steering wheel, while turning.

ACTION:

Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:

USE ONLY THE FLUID AND ADDITIVE SPECIFIED IN THIS ARTICLE. USING ANY OTHER FLUIDS OR ADDITIVES MAY RESULT IN SEAL DETERIORATION AND LEAKS.
  1. Open the hood and remove the power steering reservoir cap.
  2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 100-00.
  3. With engine off, drain power steering fluid by disconnecting steering lines and clamp plate from steering gear. Refer to Steering Gear Removal and Installation procedure in Workshop Manual, Section 211-00, follow only the steps required to disconnect the steering lines.
  4. Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock to drain fluid completely.
  5. Reconnect steering lines and clamp plate to steering gear. Torque retainer to 15 N-m (11 lb-ft) for Lincoln LS and Thunderbird, torque to 25 N-m (18 lb-ft) for Aviator.
  6. Lower vehicle.
  7. In a clean container mix 50 ml (10 teaspoons or 1.7 oz.) of Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier, Part Number XL-3, with 50 ml of Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid, Part Number XT-2-QDX.
    NOTE:DO NOT PERFORM STEPS 8 AND 9 ON A HOT VEHICLE.
  8. Pour the above mixture into the power steering reservoir.
  9. Top off (fill) the power steering system with Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid, Part Number XT-2-QDX and reinstall the power steering reservoir cap.
  10. Raise vehicle on hoist enough so the front wheels are off the ground and can be turned from lock-to-lock.
  11. Start the engine and keep it at idle. Remain inside of the vehicle.
  12. Slowly cycle the steering wheel from lock-to-lock for two (2) minutes.
  13. Quickly and forcefully turn the steering wheel in one direction to full lock (either side). Bounce the steering wheel on/off of full lock twenty (20) times forcefully.
    NOTE:IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE STEERING WHEEL IS TURNED QUICKLY AND FORCEFULLY IN ORDER TO CREATE A PRESSURE SPIKE IN THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM.
  14. Repeat Step 13 in the other direction. Return the steering wheel to on center position.
  15. Slowly turn steering wheel to full lock in one direction (either direction) to achieve maximum pump pressure. Hold at full lock for one (1) second, then turn the steering wheel back 90 degrees as quickly as possible. Repeat this procedure twenty (20) times.
    NOTE:DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING WHEEL AGAINST THE STOPS FOR MORE THAN THREE TO FIVE (3-5) SECONDS AT A TIME. DAMAGE TO THE POWER STEERING PUMP MAY OCCUR.
  16. Repeat Step 15 in the other direction.
  17. Cycle the steering wheel slowly for 1 minute to confirm that the squeak is corrected and return vehicle to the customer.
    NOTE:IF THE SQUEAK CONTINUES, REPEAT STEPS 13-16 ONE ADDITIONAL TIME. IF THE SQUEAK IS STILL NOT CORRECTED PROCEED TO STEP 18.
  18. If the squeak is still present after performing Step 17, replace the steering gear. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 211-00 for removal and installation procedures.

The squeak sounds like it is coming from right behind the steering wheel but I have learned it is from the steering gear. sometimes a change of fluid with an additive solves the sound. Sometimes the gear must be changed.

My 05 does the same thing but it comes and goes. It is annoying at times. I've heard of others with the same problem so we're not alone. One person said he changed the power steering fluid and it was cured but I can't figure out how that would help. Hopefully someone watching this forum has the answer. I'm with you - I'd like to make it go away too.
My wife had the same thing on her 2005 anniversary. Changed the power steering fluid and it went away.

Back