Springs over shocks 1961

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Replacing the rear bushings and leaf springs in my recently purchased 61 convertible. The 3 year old rear shocks have springs. Was thinking these were installed to help the tired original leafs.
Should I replace the gas shocks with one not having the springs?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Replacing the rear bushings and leaf springs in my recently purchased 61 convertible. The 3 year old rear shocks have springs. Was thinking these were installed to help the tired original leafs.

It is my opinion that air shocks and coil spring helper shocks are just a band aid. Replace or get your leaf springs re arched and go with the regular shocks.

Please include the model year in the subject when posting. Thanks for posting . I updated it for you.

If you are replacing the leaf springs with correct replacements, you won’t need the coils on the shocks.

x2 with Cokefirst. Those shocks are awesome in pickups and station wagons that routinely carry heavy loads, but they handle horribly when unloaded. On a car, they are straight up dangerous and can cause the rear end to kick out if you hit a bump while going into a turn; this has happened to me and it's VERY SCARY! Furthermore, they are putting stresses on parts that were not designed to hold the weight of the entire vehicle. In my opinion, get them off the car at your earliest convenience. I had a set rip off the top shock mount on a Chevy Silverado. In all fairness the mount was rotted and replaced; the new mount held up fine. I have a '79 Trans Am that I'm doing a full resto on. The previous owner used the load levers on it and the shocks destroyed one of the shock pockets.

Springs keep the car from dropping down or sagging. Shocks help by stabilizing the bounce when your driving. If it's sagging or riding low replace the springs. If it's bouncing down the road like a basketball replace the shocks. Both serve their own purposes

Last on this project. The new leaf springs were installed but the ( almost new)Monroe gas charged coil overs were a question. The springs were removed from the shocks and the car rides great and handles fine.
Next maybe a swaybar.
While it was off the ground, decided the ancient looking universals were probably the cause of clunk going into gear andc since in the neighborhood replaced the pinion seal The crank seal is a bit weepy but that is a bigger project that I want now.

Back