Speedo/odometer not working all dash light on

Status
Not open for further replies.
B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi I'm new here. I have a 2003 ford thunderbird with 95,000 miles.

I have some issues with my recently purchase car that have just randomly appeared one day. I was driving home and speedometer, odometer stopped work out of no where. Tons of lights abs, park brake, traction control, engine light everything.

I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed all the codes and changed a tps sensor for 200$ and cleared codes and problem still occurred .They wanted wanted to abs sensor for 1200$ and couldn't say it would fix the problem. I didn't pay to have that done and went to another shop.

At the other shop they ran codes and 11 of them came up. From abs codes, antilock brake, speed sensor, throttle actuator, compact disc player.

Just curious if anyone has any advice, or any knowledge of such a thing to have ever happened.

I checked battery and it tests good.

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Did you try disconnecting the battery to reset the computer?

Instrument cluster problem

I have a 2003 bird whose instrument panel does a similar thing. While driving all warning lights will randomly light up, then the speedometer and tachometer gauges go to zero, then the gauges come back, and then the warning lights turn off. Usually it all happens within a second or two. Sometimes it happens repeatedly and rapidly and sometimes it doesn't happen at all or maybe only one or two times during a particular drive. I noticed it happening very frequently when I was charging my cell phone so I don't do that anymore.

I took the car to two local dealers. The first worked on it twice and gave up. The second went to bat for with Ford. Ford agreed to work on it with no guarantee that it would be fixed. It seemed like they fixed it because it didn't happen for about a thousand miles of driving. Now it is happening again. My Bird has just under 18,000 miles. It is nearly mint condition. I am not sure what to do. Ideas?
Bummed

Yeah disconnected battery, wish was that easy.

So sorry hear your having similar issue chilli pepper. What kinda of things did they do to your bird to make it stop for 1000miles? Please keep us updated with your fixes if any as I will do the same.

As of late I been told maybe speed sensor. No clue what I'm going to do yet without dumping tons money into it

I have a 2003 bird whose instrument panel does a similar thing. While driving all warning lights will randomly light up, then the speedometer and tachometer gauges go to zero, then the gauges come back, and then the warning lights turn off. Usually it all happens within a second or two. Sometimes it happens repeatedly and rapidly and sometimes it doesn't happen at all or maybe only one or two times during a particular drive. I noticed it happening very frequently when I was charging my cell phone so I don't do that anymore.

I took the car to two local dealers. The first worked on it twice and gave up. The second went to bat for with Ford. Ford agreed to work on it with no guarantee that it would be fixed. It seemed like they fixed it because it didn't happen for about a thousand miles of driving. Now it is happening again. My Bird has just under 18,000 miles. It is nearly mint condition. I am not sure what to do. Ideas?
Bummed
Chili:
I hope you have a copy of the service order from the Ford dealer. If they can no longer help, I suggest you go to a Lincoln dealer. I believe the dash on the LS is the same as the TBird. Therefore many of the Lincoln LS's had similar issues to the TBird's and the Techs are more familiar with these issues.
In fact, if they are willing to work on it,you may want to share with them what the Ford dealer did for the temporary solution, (The work order).
Just a thought

Chili:
I hope you have a copy of the service order from the Ford dealer. If they can no longer help, I suggest you go to a Lincoln dealer. I believe the dash on the LS is the same as the TBird. Therefore many of the Lincoln LS's had similar issues to the TBird's and the Techs are more familiar with these issues.
In fact, if they are willing to work on it,you may want to share with them what the Ford dealer did for the temporary solution, (The work order).
Just a thought

I have an 03 that started with the abs, brake, and traction control light coming on occasionally after hitting a bump with the speedometer dropping to zero also. The gauges would come back almost immediately and the warning lights would stay on a little longer and then go out or come back on. This has progressed to the point that the engine will also stop when the warning lights come on, even if going 70mph. It shows no codes. It used to go a 100 + miles before incidence ,but now the warning lights come on almost every time I drive it. The speedometer drops and comes back up almost simultaneously. When and if it stops, it will start in a few minutes. I hope yours doesn't end up like mine. Something needs to be done and there is no help from my Ford dealer. If you find the problem, please advise. Thank you. I guess it is just a F.O.R.D. I bought it new.

That's sounds terrible sanj thankfully mine doesn't quit while driving. It acts up more the car heats up it seems. I'm going to replace speed sensor waiting on part. Will let you guys know what if anything that does. Thanks for the info on the Lincoln dealer ill have to go there and ask some questions as well. Sanj please keep us updated what you do and if you make any progress as I will do the same. Good luck and hopefully we all get our cars running correctly!

Hey Sanj, that's crazy there trying replace same thing as my dealership. I did not do the abs for 1200 cause they told me it wouldn't be for sure fix. I did speed sensor and no change. I haven't had any progress as of late. Still researching around. I asked on a fem computer but that was just for lighting. My main goal is to find another with a working bird and swap part by part till it works. Are you going do that sensor or is that just to ridiculous. I can't see how they want to change things for a light being on, there's like 10lights and all on a once, clearly it's something else.

abs, brake, tc and speed & odometer & engine light

Replaced abs module, throttle body & all cop's. Still the same, no change. I found a very good person to work on it. When he fixes it, I will publish what he did to fix it. If anyone has had success or failure, please advise. It is an 03, thank you. Please help.

Disappointment

My dad is having the same problems that birdmann ands sanj (and COUNTLESS others!!) are having. I am absolutely beyond disgusted that NO ONE at ford, lincoln, or any online forum can solve this problem!!!!

This car is a worthless pile with no fix in sight.

WHY CANT THIS PROBLEM BE RESOLVED?!?!

What a joke of a car and a waste of money.

Anyone thinking about buying a t-bird heres my advice: don't.

All of these cars are eventually going to have this problem, even those of you with low miles garage babies, be prepared, you will soon feel my pain.

This thread deserves to be pinned to the top until this problem is resolved. I will keep bumping this thread every week if I have to.

This was my dad's dream car, and now it's just a nightmare :(

P.S. if anyone is interested in buying his t-bird as is please let me know, we would be happy to get rid of it.

I have been thinking of buying one of the 02-05 Thunderbirds. Needless to say, I find this thread cautionary. Someone should send this thread to Ford Central. This thread might also be interesting to a car magazine. It is really amazing when the oldest production car maker in America can't solve a problem with one if finest products. Actually, it's disgusting.

I am not a mechanic but I have been a Fix-Or-Repair-Daily sort of person and currently own a 53 Ford pickup and a newer Explorer. The only ford that ever had me thoroughly confused was a Bronco with an abs light that would not go out. Three very good mechanics went through the system and could not find the problem. Then one day, while changing a battery, I saw a loose wire under the battery box, looked around an found a ground screw. I attached the wire and the abs light went out.

A short, a dropped ground, or a sensor could be the problem with the Thunderbirds. Whatever it is, the manufacturer should get it figured out without bankrupting customers with solutions that do not work.

I should also mention that after I got the Bronco problem fixed I went back through my manuals and the ground wire was not shown in any of the diagrams.

And also worth mentioned is that the problem could be the brain--that's expensive.

And there's this: if any of you having this problem want to give your car away, I'd consider paying the shipping. I think the 02-05 Birds are one of the prettiest cars on the road and worth the effort.

Maybe instead of a mechanic a lawyer is needed?

As you can tell from my numerous posts on this subject, I find this situation deplorable and I really feel for those of you going through this garbage.

Maybe what you need to do is send this thread to William Clay Ford. This Bird was his baby and he can't want it to be another Edsel. Years ago, when William was the Chairman of Ford, I had a problem that was not getting resolved at the dealership level and I mailed him documentation of the problem. One of his gatekeepers probably got the letter but the point is, the problem was resolved.

All of these cars are eventually going to have this problem, even those of you with low miles garage babies, be prepared, you will soon feel my pain

I know you are frustrated but there's a whole lot more people without this problem than with it. Every person in North America that has this problem could Google and end up on this thread, that doesn't mean all the cars suffer from it.

t-bird;

Good observation, though not much consolation for those with the problem. Whatever it is, Ford should be resolving the pain.

I should also mention that after I got the Bronco problem fixed I went back through my manuals and the ground wire was not shown in any of the diagrams.

And also worth mentioned is that the problem could be the brain--that's expensive.

And there's this: if any of you having this problem want to give your car away, I'd consider paying the shipping. I think the 02-05 Birds are one of the prettiest cars on the road and worth the effort.

Maybe instead of a mechanic a lawyer is needed?

I have been experimenting with running some ground wires to see if it resolves anything.. I will keep you guys updated on that.. Im almost sure its something simple like that, but that is what is the most frustrating(and scary) part about it.. The whole car is at the mercy of a weak wire?! ughh

When you say "the brain" what part are you referring to? The FEC?

I know you are frustrated but there's a whole lot more people without this problem than with it. Every person in North America that has this problem could Google and end up on this thread, that doesn't mean all the cars suffer from it.

Scared? :eek:

Seems to happen in the 70,000-100,000 mile range.. Give it enough time, enough road bumps, enough miles... It will happen eventually.

If I had a t-bird without this problem I would sell it immediately based on this thread alone. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 on that one tho.

I don't think I'd bail on the car. The problem will probably turn out to be something simple. Fusible links are another possibility and tough to run down. I'm not sure where they are located, but think there are radio and television programs devoted to difficult auto problems--maybe such a program could run down the problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back