Speaker Grill Faded- 2002

R

RI Red

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The red plastic speaker grill in the center console foot well of the passenger side has faded to a whitish color. Driver side is fine. It's very odd. Anyone know of a way to restore the color or where to buy a replacement?

Pop the grills off carefully and spray two light coats of Rustoleum Satin Apple on them for a perfect match. Light coats will prevent clogging up the grill perforations..
My grills had faded to a sickly pink when I bought my car and this is what they look like after the above paint was applied. Click on images for full size pictures This paint is an excellent match for any "hard" plastic interior components; it won't work on "soft" vinyl parts like the glove box door - which requires a vinyl dye.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.P1NG.PNG
    Capture.P1NG.PNG
    295.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this part that goes under the steering wheel from a member here and it was originally black (my red factory part was badly cracked). I painted it with the above product and you simply can't tell its not original. BTW that Amazon price in the link in the post above of nearly $32 must be for a case of the paint cited above; it was like seven dollars at Ace Hardware. As always, light coats to preserve the "camera case" grain.

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That was the trick with paint, finding the right match. Love the recommendation. This is when being a Forum member really helps out.

I am wondering if the speaker covers on the doors snap off ? I’m thinking of replacing the speakers in the door
Acording to the repair manual, you have to remove the whole door panel. Get a set of nylon door panel removal tools. Then lift the rubber piece at the bottom of the hand hole and remove the screw which starts the removal process. Now you're on your own. Good luck as I have not done this yet.

Back