Status
Not open for further replies.
gbsb

gbsb

Torch Red '02
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last edited by a moderator:
Maxxis didn't have that tire anymore when I looked earlier this year so I got the same tire on a different rim used for the mustangs up until 2015, had the tire changed over onto my rim as the other doesn't fit. Bought it on ebay, it was unused think from a wrecked car.

Two questions.
1. Where is he best place to get a replacement spare tire, mine blew up in trunk.
2. Has any body had problems with the timing chains or tensioners on their Thunderbird, I have a lot of miles ( 140,000) on mine and planning a trip. I have done a lot of suspension work and gone over other thing and she runs great. Just asking

I have always had great luck with Discount Tire / Americans Tire for purchasing tires for all my cars. I recommend you visit one of their stores. I would be shocked if they could not get you a space.

Two questions.
1. Where is he best place to get a replacement spare tire, mine blew up in trunk.
2. Has any body had problems with the timing chains or tensioners on their Thunderbird, I have a lot of miles ( 140,000) on mine and planning a trip. I have done a lot of suspension work and gone over other thing and she runs great. Just asking

Bought two spares from Maxxis In May.

Looks like Continental makes the cheapest replacement. I have one ordered from tirerack.com Thanks for all the help

Looks like Continental makes the cheapest replacement. I have one ordered from tirerack.com Thanks for all the help
The spare came in from Tire rack .com Stopped at Walmart and they mounted it for $13.00 with a new valve steam. The valve steam was 14 years old to. I bought a 155 70 R 17 as was suggested Thanks for all the help.

Did you find a replacement spare. My 2002 spare blew last week in my truck. I am have a very difficult time finding a replacement. Firestone and Maxxis no longer make this size. My local tire dealer and the Ford dealer CANNOT get this tire. Any ideas?

Did you find a replacement spare. My 2002 spare blew last week in my truck. I am have a very difficult time finding a replacement. Firestone and Maxxis no longer make this size. My local tire dealer and the Ford dealer CANNOT get this tire. Any ideas?
I did I got it on line can not remember the size. let me do some research and I will get back to you.

Looking forward to your reply. Seems this is a common issue with the spare blowing in the truck due to age. After 10 years, beware, and now ALL retrofits are +10 years. Upon further checking, seems Maxxis may have it for $159.00 + $15. shipping. I'll continue my search for another day or 2.

Looking forward to your reply. Seems this is a common issue with the spare blowing in the truck due to age. After 10 years, beware, and now ALL retrofits are +10 years. Upon further checking, seems Maxxis may have it for $159.00 + $15. shipping. I'll continue my search for another day or 2.
I found it size 155 70 R17, bought from tirerack.com $171.38. that was with tax and shipping. It is a different size than original but the outside diameter is the same. Fits in the trunk perfectly. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this still the best source for a spare? Is there a different brand of tire I might consider? Mine blew up last week on my 2002-see pic. It was the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back