Spare Tire replacement for 2002-2005

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
If Maxxis USA is sold out, order it from Maxxis Canada!

Order from Maxxis USA
Part Number- TP10355800
Size- T185/60R17

Order from Maxxis Canada
Part Number- TP1035580A
Size- T185/60R17

View attachment 12908

maxxis-tire.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I obtained the replacement from Maxxis about a month ago. Discount mounted it and disposed of the 15-year-old spare for me. It may an expensive spare but my 2004 is my daily driver and I don’t feel like risking being stranded over a simple and relatively cheap precaution.

Duane

I got my replacement last week from maxxis. I agree in keeping it original as possible is worth the extra cost and peace of mind. I am having my radio replaced with a Pioneer from Best Buy and will be adding Sirius XM. The law in Florida is changing so hands free through Apple Car Play is the only way to go. Gaining the modern conveniences is worth the change from original to me.

I opted to keep my old Spare as it looked quite good anyway, BTW the 4 digits for the mfg date are week of year and year The earlier note in this thread would be 19th week of 2003 which makes sense for the 2004 TBird above. I am sticking with my old radio as I don't listen to music and the stuff I do listen to News, old Time Radio shows & books does not work well where I drive in the northeast because the trees block the satellite signal

I opted to keep my old Spare as it looked quite good anyway, BTW the 4 digits for the mfg date are week of year and year The earlier note in this thread would be 19th week of 2003 which makes sense for the 2004 TBird above. I am sticking with my old radio as I don't listen to music and the stuff I do listen to News, old Time Radio shows & books does not work well where I drive in the northeast because the trees block the satellite signal
Well I got a flat the other day. My replacement tire would not be delivered for a day and I had to drive on the spare. No way would I drive on a 17 year old tire. I am so glad I purchased the spare from Maxxis two years ago. Money well spent.

Getting my Maxxis mounted tomorrow. For me personally, it’s the OEM spare, and I’m trying to stay as close to stock as I can on things. Besides a few performance upgrades lol.

Last edited:
I purchased my spare tire from Maxxis right after one of my club members spare tire exploded after he closed the trunk. I agree with biddle that its the age of the tire, but I also think that since it sits right next to the battery that might be a factor. Make sure that the external vent tube is attached to your battery, so the fumes from the battery don't effect the spare tire.

doug7740
1955 thunderbird Blue

Local tire dealer says they cannot obtain the spare assembly, and it may be necessary to order through a dealer. When I asked about a full sized takeoff, mounted on the spare rim the fellow's eyes crossed and he said they would not do that at all.

Is dismounting and mounting a tire on the spare rim straight forward? I can break the bead on a motorcycle wheel, and if the full sized tire bead does not take unusual manipulation, think I can manage it.

How say you folks?
I changed mine the old fashion way, used a jack to break the bead from the rim and used 2 tire irons with a little soapy water. Took me about 10 minutes.

That's what I had hoped. I can do that;

Thanks DAustin!
One thing is I had to relocate a relay in the front of the tire well, one screw and I cut off the original stud for clearance. Fits snug.
20220607_121005.jpg

Received the spare from Maxxis Saturday 11/4. Manufacture date is 1823. Brand spanking fresh off the mill. Took less than a week from order to reception. Can't beat it.

I understand that a O E M Rim will not fit into the original spare tire space. Has anyone made one fit? What were the needed changes to make it fit. Has someone have a O E M Rim?

FYI: New, 2002-05 Tbird, stock Maxxis spare tires (T185/60/R17) are available from Maxxis. I received my new Maxxis spare tire delivered to front door (Oregon) for $198.00. No fit or rim issues.

For discussion - I don't think I've had a flat tire in decades or ever since I could afford to keep decent tires on a car haha. Now trailer tires are a different story and always on the hottest day of the year! I think I am tempted to just remove the spare altogether and enjoy the extra 3 cf of storage and a bit less weight. We have had cars offered from the manufacturers with no spare tires recently and an inflation kit instead. Keep a can of fix a flat or whatever, keep your AAA membership up to date and take your chances. I think this is reasonable, do you?

@Liquidlounge I agree with you about the spare; I just need to invest in the Fix-A-Flat. I still have the original spare, but I deflated it and pulled it out. Never been used, still has all the markings, looks brand new. I'll keep it for the next owner (someday).

Operating without a full size spare is not an option for me.
To many variables to relie on with road service, tire replacement availability, after hours to shop pulled to, personal safety waiting for hours for help to arrive, the list goes on.
Today's tires destroy themselves during tire failure. I would think a recycling yard could produce a space saver rim with tire from a Ford sedan. Do your research on lug compatibility then call and check. Also you could get factory jack if needed.
I also keep a good quality battery powered air compressor in vehicle.

Back