Securing Hardtop

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catales

Last seen
After a summer of enjoying top down weather in my '04 T'Bird, I went to replace the hardtop for winter storage with the car. My brother and I put it on together but can't seem to get the front screws to catch the threads of the front part of the roof to tighten it down. They seem not to be long enough. What are we doing wrong?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Catales:
Try this; (1) Make sure the top's rear locking levers are pushed all the way to the rear.

(2) Lower the top's rear pins into their receivers. Then lower the front of the top onto the front mounting points. Pull the rear locking levers half way toward the front; the pins will drop further into the receiving holes. The locking tabs on the front corners of the hardtop should line up with the mounting casings on the top corners of the windshield. At each corner, use the top tool to push the locking bolt up through the casing and into the receiver hole in the locking tab. If the bolt doesn't slide easily into the hole, you'll need a custom fit. If it does slide in, give it a few turns to engage the threads. If the bolt doesn't engage easily, with minimal pressure, then you'll need a custom fit.

If the above doesn't work, let me know and I'll get you the custom fit instructrions.

Last edited:
catales, How did you make out?? Just curious.:confused:

Car is in storage and I haven't had a chance to get to it and try out your suggestion. Before we put it away I think we tried every combination including leaning on the front corners with two 200lb guys and could not get the screws to start threading on to the top.

Car is in storage and I haven't had a chance to get to it and try out your suggestion. Before we put it away I think we tried every combination including leaning on the front corners with two 200lb guys and could not get the screws to start threading on to the top.

Just for the heck of it I put the hardtop on my 2002 for the second time in eight years. I couldn't get the front screws started either until I un-did the rear locking clamps.

.....I've always screwed down the front first....before clamping down the rear....makes for a good fit....

I'll be putting the top back in the fall and I'll try that. Still, it doesn't look like a lot of the screw (maybe 3/4 of an inch) is visable. Are your screws as short?

...I would term the screws to be short.....just make sure the threads take hold....press the corner of the roof while using the tool....you will feel when the threads line up and take hold....I know...I've been spinning away with the tool and wondering what the heck?...now realizing the threads need to be lined up and may need a little pressure applied....

custom fit

George; Wonder if the instructions are still available to do a custom fit. Can't get the screws started. Thanks Bud J

Coyote Red, Is this what you want?:confused:

"For those of you having problems installing the hard top, don't forget you can pull the plastic piece off the front of the hardtop to adjust the pins. Pull the plastic piece straight out from both sides, don't hesitate it is not going to break. After removing the plastic piece, use your hard top tool to loosen the 3 screws just enough to allow the front pins to slide freely. Lift the hardtop onto the car letting the back pins drop in freely, then guide the front pins into the holes on the front windshield. The pins will still be loose, so the top front pins should slide in easily. After your top is secure, retighten the 3 screws on each side and push the long plastic piece back into it's slots. Then follow the instructions for hardtop installation now that you have the top sitting securely on the car.
You really shouldn't ever have to do this again in the following years, because the adjustment you just made should be a perfect fit.
This adjustment works well for all those you with a hard top rattle also.

HINT:
No picture necessary. It's the plastic header. Where the soft upholstery of the inner roof of the hardtop meets (stops) at the front near the windshield, that's it. Once you've removed it, (it's held in place by sturdy clips) you will see the three screws on the left and right sides you can loosen. Once loosened, you can move the recepters for the single screws into alignment with the single screws that hold the hardtop in place. Tighten the single screws on both sides, then tighten the three screws on both sides. Voila', the hardtop is now custom-fitted to your car."

Nice Fit

George------THANKS A BUNCH, really think this site is great. guys like you are much appreciated for your time and interest in helping others. Thanks again, Bud J

No problem Bud. I have collected all that I could over the past 8 years thinking some day I'll need it. :cool:
Then when people started posting issues and had questions, I go back to my files and find that I can help....After all, that's what the forum is all about.

And look what Quickdraw brings to the table. He's always there with data on when these Birds were built and where/when sold. Another great source for people.:D
Thanks for your vote of confidence
George

This instruction is exactly what I needed to get the top front secured: "At each corner, use the top tool to push the locking bolt up through the casing and into the receiver hole in the locking tab."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back