SC Won't Crank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had just recently bought an '89 SC, and was driving it home. The belt on the supercharger had worn through and busted.The Supercharger isn't froze up, because while idoling, the pulley would spin very slowly. I drove it about 20 miles on the highway, (very carefully mind you) , never got into 5th gear. then it just cut out me. It just lost all power. I pulled over and tried to re-start it. I bought new fan belts, put 'em on. But still no fire. Its turns over but not firing. Since then I have checked out several things and am having trouble diagnosing the problem. There's no spark at the plugs. All the fuses are good. The inertia switch is fine. I've been told it may be the ignition control module, but thats gonna run about $200 from CarQuest, since the SC is distributorless. Is there a way to test this module? What else can it be? How can I diagnose this problem? I've also seen references to the crank and cam angle sensors. I've investigated these in Chilton's, but can't seem to determine what the symptoms would be of these going out. Would the OBD give a code for any of these going out, the ignition control module, crank sensor, or the cam angle sensor? The engine light isn't on, so I don't expect to find a code. Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance!

well, in case anyone cares, I figured out what the problem was and got it running with alot of help from the fellows at the Ford Enthusiasts Forum. Turns out it was the crankshaft position sensor.

g-mann said:
well, in case anyone cares, I figured out what the problem was and got it running with alot of help from the fellows at the Ford Enthusiasts Forum. Turns out it was the crankshaft position sensor.

Glad you got it solved. You are way more "hands on" than most of us here... I have trouble recognizing anything under the hood now... I don't see carbs, spark plugs, coils, or even spark plug wires... With everything computerized now I won't be surprised to see a Ctrl-Alt-Del keys under the hood some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back