Rust Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cbird

Last seen
Hi. I will be buying a 2005 Medium Steel Blue T-Bird next week. I have come across a Canadian rustproofing method called Rust Check which involves spraying things with an aerospace paraffin-based rust preventative preparation (maybe similar to Boeing's T9?). I am thinking of having that done (it doesn't involve any tar-like undercoating and also supposedly protects wiring). I am just wondering if anyone has any familiarity with this and opinions about it.
Thank you,
Cbird

1959 hardtop Tbird
1961 Lincoln convertible

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

cbird said:
Hi. I will be buying a 2005 Medium Steel Blue T-Bird next week. I have come across a Canadian rustproofing method called Rust Check which involves spraying things with an aerospace paraffin-based rust preventative preparation (maybe similar to Boeing's T9?). I am thinking of having that done (it doesn't involve any tar-like undercoating and also supposedly protects wiring). I am just wondering if anyone has any familiarity with this and opinions about it.
Thank you,
Cbird

1959 hardtop Tbird
1961 Lincoln convertible

You can read my experience with rust proofing here: http://forums.thunderbirdforum.com/showthread.php?t=3013

I did everything right, had the Ford dealer rust-proof with Rusty Jones, turned out it CAUSED the car to rust out and I got nothing. Shortly before they went bankrupt I put in a claim on their warranty - they said the dealer didn't apply it correctly - the dealer said Rust Jones was liable. RJ went bankrupt and all I got was a rusty car.

Do you plan to keep the car forever? Put on lots of miles on salt cover streets?

I am planning on keeping it indefinitely, but wouldn't use it much in the snow. It would get some use near the Pacific coast, so would get salt exposure.
Thank you,
Cbird

cbird, welcome to the forum. If it gets minimal exposure and if you use commercial car washes, I wouldn't bother. First of all, you'll not be in salt water but salt air. Second, they have under carriage washes that would get any salt exposure off. Just my opinion

I have a 2005 T-Bird and just moved to snow country. $300 to rust proof the undercarriage. Guess I need to do this???

I have a 2005 T-Bird and just moved to snow country. $300 to rust proof the undercarriage. Guess I need to do this???

I would say if you are going to drive it in the winter / snow where they salt the roads . It may help a bit, BUT It will only deter the inevitable rust if you drive it in the winter with salt on the roads.. I have done the rust proofing numerous times on brand new cars, and instead of your car starting to show rust in 6-7 years, it will show it in 8 year.. Salt and metal do not go well together.. Also the rust proofing is only as good as the person who applies the stuff.. They can not cover every inch of the car.. Our T-bird doesn't see winters.. Well it see it once a month when I pull it out of the garage to run the engine for 20- 30 minutes..

This time when we bought our new Nissan Frontier we had an Auto Saver put on it http://www.theautosaversystem.com/index_en.php It's only been 5 years now that we had and the auto saver installed but as always the rust start to show up in 7 years.. Our Frontier is still rust free knock on wood. I think the best we can do to stop rust on out prize cars is to move to Arizona.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back