Retractable Steering Wheel Bump-Bump

Mike in Nashville

Mike in Nashville

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Brand new to the forum and new owner of an 05 Cashmere #454. Love this 05 as I did my 1965. I have an issue with the steering wheel. When I turn the auto off the steering wheel will move up but does not always stop. Most of the time it will go up then come back down a short distance then back up. It will rock up and down 2 to 5 times before it totally stops. Any suggestions?

Thanks and I am enjoying all the comments on the forum. Mike

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

On my 02, the steering wheel does not move until I take the key out or put the key in. I wonder if it has something to do with the switch in the key hole. At least that might be a place to start looking

On my 02, the steering wheel does not move until I take the key out or put the key in. I wonder if it has something to do with the switch in the key hole. At least that might be a place to start looking

A valid thought; a somewhat worn “switch and or key” may cause unique initial steering wheel movement.

The control for the tilt/ telescope function is a circuit board in the instrument cluster, ford changed something in this unit in 04 and 05 causing it to have issues. Circuit Board Medic has a fix that upgrades the board to correct this for $170 or so. Cluster is a pain to remove about and hour pull all the trim and lower steering column. Be sure the car can stay where it is once you remove the cluster, the PATs system is in the cluster on these cars rather than the PCM, the car will not start. Circuit Board Medic has my cluster now due to odometer flickering, but I have a spare cluster so I can still drive the car.

Thanks for that info. I am not sure how to get in touch with Circuit Board Medic so please share that with me. I am going to give it some time and see if it gets to doing worse before I tackle removing any part of the dash. I do not want to damage anything. But I do need to be prepared incase it goes totally out, again thanks for the info.

I had a '90 Buick Reatta for several years and gained a lot of information on their forum. I loved that car but it had some inherent issues and quirks the car was born with.

Bookmarked it, thanks. Once I get a few bucks ahead I'll order one just to have if and when I need it.

Back