Replacing The Hardtop Seals

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
doug7740

doug7740

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’m about to replace the seals on the hardtop of my 1955 T-Bird. I have already removed the old seals and I discovered that there are 6 metal strips that go over the seals.

One of these metal strips needed to be replaced, however since I could not find these strips listed in any of the parts catalogs, I spoke to the restoration department at CASCO and they told me that the metal retainers were only used on the very early 1955 hardtops. They also said that since the replacement seals have the metal infused in the rubber you can't use the metal retainers with the replacement seals.

So after I clean the old sealer from the hardtop I'll start to install the new seals without the metal retainers, but before I begin I was wondering if there are anything I should be aware of, or any tips or tricks anyone has?

Doug
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• 000_4914.JPG
    499.3 KB · Views: 5
I’ve had issues with my 57 hardtop for many years took it to the place to have You want to put on and three years later they started coming off again so it seems to be a problem and design sorry I couldn’t help you any further

I’m about to replace the seals on the hardtop of my 1955 T-Bird. I have already removed the old seals and I discovered that there are 6 metal strips that go over the seals.

One of these metal strips needed to be replaced, however since I could not find these strips listed in any of the parts catalogs, I spoke to the restoration department at CASCO and they told me that the metal retainers were only used on the very early 1955 hardtops. They also said that since the replacement seals have the metal infused in the rubber you can't use the metal retainers with the replacement seals.

So after I clean the old sealer from the hardtop I'll start to install the new seals without the metal retainers, but before I begin I was wondering if there are anything I should be aware of, or any tips or tricks anyone has?

Doug
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Doug, I’m a new member and am about to start a restoration on my 1955 Bird which also has a hardtop.
I live in northern New England and have found a few people up in my region that are extremely knowledgeable about everything on this car.
As soon as I talk to them again (upcoming week) I’ll let you know. I’ll be doing my top during the snowy days soon !
JDJ

Back