Replacing License Plate bulb on a 2003 Thunderbird

cliffcostello

cliffcostello

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
OK. I've replaced many license plate bulbs on other vehicles with LED bulbs. I've bought a LED bulb for my 2003 Thunderbird, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get the cover off to get to the bulb. I must be dense or something, but what I thought were hex, phillips or torx screws holding the plastic lense in place, nothing seems to be able to screw them out. Is there another access method to get the lense off? Duh .. feel really stupid here but can't seem to figure out how to get to the bulb, and don't want to break the lense.

HELP!!! LOL

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

OK. I've replaced many license plate bulbs on other vehicles with LED bulbs. I've bought a LED bulb for my 2003 Thunderbird, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get the cover off to get to the bulb. I must be dense or something, but what I thought were hex, phillips or torx screws holding the plastic lense in place, nothing seems to be able to screw them out. Is there another access method to get the lense off? Duh .. feel really stupid here but can't seem to figure out how to get to the bulb, and don't want to break the lense.

HELP!!! LOL
I think it’s a plastic plug that only looks like a screw. Try prying gently with a thin screwdriver or your small Swiss Army knife nail file blade.

I think it’s a plastic plug that only looks like a screw. Try prying gently with a thin screwdriver or your small Swiss Army knife nail file blade.
That worked perfectly ... got the new LED bulb in and now the plate is very bright at night. Thanks for the tip!!!

HELP!!! LOL
I know your pain man I have installed led lights inside and outside and I get to the tag light and I am in the same boat as you can’t get that darn cover off. Please post back if you figure it out as I will do the same. Good luck

I know your pain man I have installed led lights inside and outside and I get to the tag light and I am in the same boat as you can’t get that darn cover off. Please post back if you figure it out as I will do the same. Good luck
Bubblehog's recommendation above worked. Just take a small screwdriver or knife edge and pry those plastic pins on each end of the lense very carefully and pull them out. worked perfectly. Just push the pins back in after you've changed the bulb.

Bubblehog's recommendation above worked. Just take a small screwdriver or knife edge and pry those plastic pins on each end of the lense very carefully and pull them out. worked perfectly. Just push the pins back in after you've changed the bulb.
Thanks bubblehog I will give this a shot and see what happens I was going to try just that but a little worried I might would have broke it. But I’ll give it a little more pressure thanks guys

how do remove under dash courtesy bulbs on my 02 T-bird? want to replace with led. push-in & twist? tried a few maneuvers, but no luck

how do remove under dash courtesy bulbs on my 02 T-bird? want to replace with led. push-in & twist? tried a few maneuvers, but no luck
There are two 194 bulbs ... if you get down on your knees and look under the dash in the footwells, you'll see them. You just pull them out of their sockets. I replaced mine with Red LED bulbs (to match my Red Accent interior ... they look awesome. Got them from VLEDS. You can get other colors, as well as white.

Back