Replace rear main seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am replacing the rear main seal on a 1957 Bird, 312 engine. I have removed the old rope seal and am attempting to put in the new rubber seal from Fordcraft. It has been extremely hard to insert. I am basically pushing down on the outside rib with a flat screwdriver and pushing the seal in. It moves very ,very, slowly. After 2 days I have it all but 1-1/2" in. Does anyone have any tips on how to get this in easier? My thumb is about worn out...LOL
Any comments or help appreciated....Ted

Is their any way you can remove main bearing end cap, that seal goes in to. If you can the lip of the seal should slide easily into the bearing cap. Then it should slide together. Make sure you don't nick any of the bearings, or your through. Your other option is to install another rope seal.

Is their any way you can remove main bearing end cap, that seal goes in to. If you can the lip of the seal should slide easily into the bearing cap. Then it should slide together. Make sure you don't nick any of the bearings, or your through. Your other option is to install another rope seal.
I finally got it into the engine and it seems to be sealing fine with no leak. Thanks for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back