Random Acceleration At Full Stop On 2003 lunging lurching

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have had this sudden acceleration at a full stop with my foot on brake happen about 5 times now and almost have had an accident holding the car from shifting and hitting someone.Does anyone have an idea what to do here and what i need to check. Could it be FEM module?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the event this was NOT a self-inflicted problem from a foot on the pedal, I would be checking the Throttle Position Sensor. The throttle pedal is connected to a sensor that is connected to the ECM, unlike the old days of a cable to the carb.

Happened to me a number of times. Fist time the car was only 2-3 years old. Ford couldn't figure it out. Most of what I've read here and what Fords said was operater error. I disagree! I am always cautious when stopping leaving enough distance between me and the car in front if me just in case.
It has happened to me 2 times in the 4 years that i have owned my 2002. IMHO I swear mine was my size 10.5 sneakers hitting the gas pedal and the brake pedal at the same time.. I now make a very conscious effort to keep my right heal almost in front of the brake pedal..

I bought my 2005 just over a 2 months ago and experienced the same thing 3 times. Two transmissions shops and a Ford dealer service dept. could not duplicate the situation. Now the embarassing news. The Ford service mgr. suggested that the brake pedal and gas pedal are much closer together than usual and that i was pushing on both at the same time. I said you have got to be kidding.

Well I am now using my left foot on the brake and have not experienced the situation again. Maybe the service mgr, was correct.

I have had this sudden acceleration at a full stop with my foot on brake happen about 5 times now and almost have had an accident holding the car from shifting and hitting someone.Does anyone have an idea what to do here and what i need to check. Could it be FEM module?
I had similar issues and it’s NOT my foot on both pedals. I changed my throttle position sensor and problem solved for me. Unfortunately there are a number of sensors that can cause this issue. Some are simple to replace and some will require major diagnostic qualifications. I have the shop manual for my 2005 and spent hours checking it out. The simple fix was what I was able to do and the cheapest. $90 for the sensor and $9 for the new throttle body gasket.

I had similar issues and it’s NOT my foot on both pedals. I changed my throttle position sensor and problem solved for me. Unfortunately there are a number of sensors that can cause this issue.
Yes, this was already posted above and worth noting, this is not a design flaw, it's from the car being old.

I'm a 2004 Tbird owner with about 10,000 miles. The car has experienced a sort of SUA (Sudden unintended acceleration).My mechanic has fixed the problem but can it happen again?
He didn't go into details but he replaced the throttle body. Car only has 10,000 mileage. Could the throttle body become defective?

He didn't go into details but he replaced the throttle body. Car only has 10,000 mileage. Could the throttle body become defective?
While your car may only have 10,000 miles it could have come off the assembly line in 2003 and is 19 years old, enough time for a person to be born, go through elementary school, high school, and start college. Most marriages don't even last that long. LOL! That's why some new cars have a 3-year/36,000-mile warranty, whichever comes first.

As you will see above, others have mentioned replacing the throttle position sensor to fix the issue.

Back