Radio goes max volume when turned on; 2004

JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2004 Bird, new to me. Push the radio button on and it comes on at max volume. Turning the knob CCW has no effect. Pressing the down button on the s-wheel does work, but next time it does a repeat. Any ideas? Thx

When you say the next time it does a repeat, do you mean that as soon as you put the volume down, it starts going back up again when you stop the down volume button?

The steering wheel control works and the vol can be controlled until the motor is turned off - on the next start when the on button is pushed the vol goes max and has to be lowered with the wheel control. Thanks

Fiddled some more with the radio - seems the problem is in the knob control - wiggling it and twisting it back and forth gets it working somewhat. Then, just a touch and the vol goes max. If it were a normal rheostat and I could get a spray tube into the case I would just spray it with contact cleaner. Alas, I have no idea how the control is made or operates. Above my pay grade. I'm old school. Stuck in the fifties.

Sprayed some contact cleaner under the wheel +- buttons, and behind the knob. Pressed and twisted vigorously and the problem has gone away. Just dirty contacts, evidently.

Mine does this all the time and I just live with it. So many problems that shouldn't occur, such as the CD player.....

The volume control is simply dirty. You or someone needs to open the radio, and use a good
contact cleaner such as Deoxit. You have to spray it directly inside the volume control. I have
used it many times on various volume controls, and one good treatment will last for years.View attachment 2721
Thank you for this advice. Do I have to remove the radio, or does the know pull off?

Chuck, I like that but am nervous about attempting the transfer. I usually break plastic conceals trying to remove. Then arthritic hands and fingers make opening a cereal box painful. Job for Grandsons, if they would ever come around. :(

Chuck, I like that but am nervous about attempting the transfer. I usually break plastic conceals trying to remove. Then arthritic hands and fingers make opening a cereal box painful. Job for Grandsons, if they would ever come around. :(
I had it professionally installed.

Back