Question on layout of D5-D4 shift position 2002 - 2005

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have seen Birds listed as 2003 which seem to have different layouts of the shift position. My 2003 has an "up/down" D5-D4 shift position, but I have seen a few "left/right" D5-D4 shift positions, as shown below. Can anyone elaborate on these two configurations? Such as model years for each, different functionality, etc. Thank you in advance!
1623727546169.png

It sounds like you have the Selectshift option, which allows you to manually gear up and down. The picture you shared is the standard configuration.

It sounds like you have the Selectshift option, which allows you to manually gear up and down. The picture you shared is the standard configuration.
OK, slightly confused here...bear with me....doesn't the standard configuration also allow manual shifting?

Last edited:
The Select Shift Transmission (SST) was a $130.00 option that allowed the driver to select between the transmission's automatic shift mode or the manually selected shift mode. Look at the Driving-Transmission Operation of the owner's manual for a complete description.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird blue

Select Shift Thansmission Shifter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2002 has select a shiftable transmission and I do love it. Use it a lot to control my ability to decelerate. Don't trust my "foot feel" on that tiny brake pedal. My question is from all I read that option didn't start until 2003 model. True or false. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting with the 2003 model year, buyers got a second choice of automatics with the Select Shift, which allowed the driver to work through the five forward speeds manually.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back