Question about 62 Sports Roadster

raven02capt

raven02capt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi guys,
This is my first post although I have been on here quite a while, so if I do something wrong here go easy please. I have 4 T Birds including an 02. My question pertains to my 62 Sports Roadster (a real one)). I bought the car in 1980 from a guy who was a T Bird restorer. At that time I wanted a little bird but couldn't afford it but could afford the roadster he had. He told me he was the second owner and didn't like the power of the 390 so he bought directly from Ford a new 428 in 1969 and put that in (restoring T Birds was his occupation in 1969). I restored it and drove it for a while and wow, does it have power. I have had the car stored for 14 years now and have decided to drive it again and while going through brakes and hoses, etc., I decided I better rebuild the carb, a Holley. I searched everywhere online for a Holley kit for the List number but couldn't find it. So I contacted Holley and the tech guy couldn't find it either. Finally he said hold on I have an old book to check and came back with "you have a very rare carb, you better hold on to it". He said it was made exclusively for Ford for the 1969 Mustang Shelby 500 428 Cobra Jet and gave me a kit number that is over $100.00.

Finally my question. I am debating if I should keep the 428 (probably a CJ) or replace it with a 390 from another 62 T Bird. If it was just another big block Ford I would change it but with this one, I don't know. My question is in regard to value. What do you think?

Drive it and enjoy it. If you go back to the 390 you will regret it. If you sell the motor the money will be gone and the motor a figment of your mind. Keep it and you can sell it at a later date when you need the money.

Drive it and enjoy it. If you go back to the 390 you will regret it. If you sell the motor the money will be gone and the motor a figment of your mind. Keep it and you can sell it at a later date when you need the money.
Thanks for your thoughts Dale. That is the way I was leaning too.

Back