Purchasing a 1957 thunderbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I'm looking at purchasing a 1957 Thunderbird. I have narrowed my choice down to 2 vehicles, both look very similar solid #3 quality, mileage about same.
My question is, one has an automatic trans with newer aftermarket air, the other has 3 spd manual with overdrive and Kelsey wire wheels, each has both port hole tops and soft top with electric windshield wipers a a new radiator with electric fan.
Both my wife and I can drive standard. If for some reason a few years down the road we decide to sell which would be the best to own.
Once I decide on one I've decided to pay for an independent appraisal completed before I decide to make my offer or not.

I personally enjoy the automatic and I believe that was the standard option for the 57 or at least most produced. I feel an automatic is a more attractive option to the buying public because many of them do not drive a stick shift. This is only an opinion. Good luck.

I enjoy mine with an automatic and air conditioning. The floorboards can get hot and the air helps. I’m 6 foot and have to pull my foot back and put it on the break pedal. The footwell is cramped. Can’t imagine having my left leg in and out on the clutch. You may want to sit in the driver’s seat and see what would be comfortable for you and your wife. Good luck and happy motoring

Also note that the 3 speed is a non syncro 1st gear, which means you need to come to a complete stop before throwing 1st...a bit if a pain. Also make sure the overdrive works as it has 3 major components.

If you are Buying the car and want it to keep it's value, the Manual with OD with the 312 engine is the rarest '57 T-Bird Built (approx 7%). The Automatics are a dime a dozen !
Charlie D

If you are Buying the car and want it to keep it's value, the Manual with OD with the 312 engine is the rarest '57 T-Bird Built (approx 7%). The Automatics are a dime a dozen !
Charlie D
Again, if it's about selling to the general public that may want to actually keep it and enjoy driving it, I think the automatic has a broader appeal. It all depends on the individual and what their long range plan for the vehicle happens to be. Again, this is only my opinion.

If you are buying it to sell go with the belly button; automatic. If you are buying it for yourself go with what you like to drive.. If you are buying it to drive again, how do you like to drive? Where do you usually drive, city or open road? go with what will suit your driving. I have a "C" bird originally a 3 spd non od. Now an overdrive converted. I get good mileage and that is important to me on longer drives. You should have no trouble selling later no matter what transmission you choose.

Back