Pulling the motor from my 1969 Thunderbird

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
okay so as per the title I will soon be pulling the motor out of my 69 Thunderbird for a roller 68 I will be getting soon. Any helpful tips on taking it out would be much appreciated. Can I get to the trans bolts form inside the engine bay? I am guessing it wise to pull off the heads to help lighten and weight of the engine.

Can the Blower motor be rebuilt? Have mine out but OE wheel will not work with the aftermarket motor it is to deep for the aftermarket motor.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The notes here are for a Mark III but it’s the same setup on a Thunderbird. I had to replace the blower motor on my mark, it wasn’t fun, but wasn’t impossible either. You will access the motor from inside the cabin, some minor dash disassembly will be needed. Lower dash glove box area. I had the seats out of the mark, which created a lot more room to work.

http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/blog/2014/03/1970_mark_iii_blower_motor_que.html

As I recall the procedure,
Remove glove box door and interior
Remove hvac control box
Remove right kick panel
Remove fresh air vacuum motor, disconnect vac hose and electrical connector
Remove one screw that retains motor (remaining rivets are in a keyhole opening)
Rotate blower motor counterclockwise to disengage keyed rivets
(May take some convincing, it’s been there 48 years)
Remove motor and unplug from harness

Thanks folks! If it test bad I'll be able to replace it.

Can the blower motor be rebuilt on a 1969? I have mine out but OE wheel is to deep too work with the aftermarket motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay so as per the title I will soon be pulling the motor out of my 69 Thunderbird for a roller 68 I will be getting soon. Any helpful tips on taking it out would be much appreciated. Can I get to the trans bolts form inside the engine bay? I am guessing it wise to pull off the heads to help lighten and weight of the engine.

Can the Blower motor be rebuilt? Have mine out but OE wheel will not work with the aftermarket motor it is to deep for the aftermarket motor.
What are you doing with the dizzy and intake off the 69?

Sorry I read it wrong. I thought you were putting a 68 roller engine into your 69. How did the edelbrock intake perform in the 69?

Can the blower motor be rebuilt on a 1969? I have mine out but OE wheel is to deep too work with the aftermarket motor.
If you look into the slots of the wheel down towards the bottom there should be a small allen wrench screw that you loosen up so you can slide the wheel off the shaft and use the original wheel. The shaft should be round with a flat side on it. That's where the allen screw is

Back