Power Steering Fluid

To be honest, I'd recommend using your own discretion. I had a shop remove and rebuild the steering box, but a replacement could be the better choice. One thing to watch: some of these cars have a problem with steering, where the car tries to steer to the left or the right -- and this is attributed to scoring on the cylinder walls of the box. I never had this problem but I've heard of others that have. This might be a factor in your decision.

The pulling to the right or left is usually caused by improper adjustment of the steering gear upon re-assembly after installing new seals.

I'm not familiar with the '62, but I've used a Lucas power steering fluid that has conditioner in it. Both cases were Fords. The steering was making "groaning" noises when turning the wheel, and squealing noises when cranked all the way to the locks. Cleared these conditions right up.

71Ezg9tKhsL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The noises you describe are consistent with low power steering fluid in the p.s. pump. When filling the pump the fluid level shouldn't do much more than cover the pick up or about an inch below the top of the unit. This allows for the expansion of the heated p.s. fluid and likely excess pressure that could cause the p.s. hose to fail at the couplings or damage the pump.

Hope that this is useful to the newbies.

The noises you describe are consistent with low power steering fluid in the p.s. pump. When filling the pump the fluid level shouldn't do much more than cover the pick up or about an inch below the top of the unit. This allows for the expansion of the heated p.s. fluid and likely excess pressure that could cause the p.s. hose to fail at the couplings or damage the pump.

Hope that this is useful to the newbies.
Yes very useful to know

Hi all. Actually for the two Fords ('64 T Bird, '69 Galaxie 500) that I mentioned, in both cases the steering reservoirs were full up. I removed around 12 ounces of the steering fluid and added the Lucas steering fluid + conditioner product I mentioned, then proceeded to drive the cars normally. Within a few miles, the noises were gone.

There's another post on this forum called "Power Steering groan 2004 Thunderbird" which goes into detail about how using steering fluid + conditioner can resolve what is described as "groan" (a rubber on rubber rubbing noise) and squealing when the steering is cranked all the way to the locks.

Doug

I was always told to avoid cranking the steering wheel to full lock as it puts undue pressure on the p.s. unit and hoses. I realize that sometimes it is necessary but try not to.

I own a 2002 Thunderbird as well, but have not experienced that issue, not to say that it doesn't happen.

Me too. I can hear my father's words on this, along with always using compression to slow the car down (save the brakes), always let car's thoroughly warm up before driving them, and never waste a drop of oil.

Me too. I can hear my father's words on this, along with always using compression to slow the car down (save the brakes), always let car's thoroughly warm up before driving them, and never waste a drop of oil.

Interesting; I wonder if he also said you should pump the gas pedal to prime the cylinders before hitting the starter?

A lot of this "Wisdom" came from driving cars of the 1930's and 40's. Even that is based on more primitive cars of the 1920's, but heavily advised in the days of the Great Depression and wartime gas rationing. Although these are still good habits (not so sure about the priming cylinders thing), they're a lot less meaningful today -- even on a 1960's car.

With carburetors I generally pump the fuel peddle two or three times if it has been sitting for a while and especially if it's a mechanical fuel pump. Of course with modern cars and electric fuel pumps just turn the key and go.

Interesting; I wonder if he also said you should pump the gas pedal to prime the cylinders before hitting the starter?

A lot of this "Wisdom" came from driving cars of the 1930's and 40's. Even that is based on more primitive cars of the 1920's, but heavily advised in the days of the Great Depression and wartime gas rationing. Although these are still good habits (not so sure about the priming cylinders thing), they're a lot less meaningful today -- even on a 1960's car.
another old trend was, blipping the throttle before turning the key off...?

Back