Power mirror adjustment problem

R

Ron Pendygraft

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My power mirrors, both driver side and passenger side developed a problem. They will adjust up and down however in and out will only adjust one way. Now I have a pair of 3 way adjusting mirrors.
Has anyone had this problem and what is the fix?

My power mirrors, both driver side and passenger side developed a problem. They will adjust up and down however in and out will only adjust one way. Now I have a pair of 3 way adjusting mirrors.
It appears mt drovers is like that, i adjisted it by hand and that's my fix. I am the only driver so it is not a problem.

Everything that I’ve been reading points to the mirror switch so I’m going to replace it. The switch is fairly inexpensive 15 bucks if that doesn’t fix the problem I will take my bird to the shop.
Thanks for your reply.

Same issue here! Haven't quite figured out how to access the switch to try replacement. Ideas/suggestions?

That was the one issue mine had when I bought my T-bird last year.. My mirrors would go up and down but not right and left.. I bought a new switch from Ford (but I tell you aftermarket maybe the way to go) Probably $30 cheaper.. The contacts in the switch gets corroded or pitted and doesn't make contact in the left, right axes or up down axes.. I saw a video on line how to fix it but I went with a new switch... ( I just tried to find it now but couldn't ) Used a plastic panel pry tool to pull the chrome covering off the switch (mirror and headlight switches) then it was a matter of popping the old mirror switch out and popping in the new switch... Wish I would of videoed the process..

Thanks! That's what I I thought but needed some confirmation.

Same issue here! Haven't quite figured out how to access the switch to try replacement. Ideas/suggestions?
Very easy. The brushed aluminum trim panel that switch is mounted in just pops out of dash. The trim panel that is below the mirror switch panel that holds the traction control button need to come off. Three pins pulls out of plastic exspanision keepers ( they look like bolts) under the dash panel. Pull them out pop the panel will pry off now you can remove the aluminum panel with mirror switch the rest is kind of self explanatory. Be careful plastic tabs are starting to get brittle with age. I got my replacement switch on Amazon.

Really glad I joined this forum! Sure will be easier to back up with properly adjusted mirrors. Thanks!

Very easy. The brushed aluminum trim panel that switch is mounted in just pops out of dash. The trim panel that is below the mirror switch panel that holds the traction control button need to come off. Three pins pulls out of plastic exspanision keepers ( they look like bolts) under the dash panel. Pull them out pop the panel will pry off now you can remove the aluminum panel with mirror switch the rest is kind of self explanatory. Be careful plastic tabs are starting to get brittle with age. I got my replacement switch on Amazon.

Thank God someone has a memory on here.. Yupper I did it last year about this time and I really couldn't remember how I got to the switch other than the plastic pry tool and the chrome trim.. I hate braking those trim pieces and marring the surface.. BTW it's great when it's summer.. The warmer the plastic is the more pliable and flexible it becomes.. Doing this in freezing weather really taxes the older plastic clips that hold the electrical connectors and such.. It's easy to break them..

I just replaced my mirror switch. Thank you so much for the directions,

Ron,

My 03 has the same issue. Were you able to find a solution to resolve this? Thanks...

It appears mt drovers is like that, i adjisted it by hand and that's my fix. I am the only driver so it is not a problem.
How did you adjust by hand without damaging the mirrors. Trying to move the mirrors by hand was difficult as they seem rigid? Thanks for the help

Back