Pontiac GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had time to kill yesterday afternoon, and after the Lexus salesmen ignored me, I stopped by Pontiac to check out the GTO.

When I saw it on TV, my reaction was, What the hell is that...looks like any other Grandam or other medium size GM.

Well, I checked it out in person and the "kid" salesman explained to me that they tried to keep the concept of the original GTO the same, just making it look like any other car.....a sleeper, and leaving any modifications to the owners, also giving them the opportunity to dress it up in subsequent years.

After staring into the engine compartment, I dig it.

I was wondering how the cramed a Corvette 5.7 liter engine into that little engine compartment, but somehow it looks like it has plenty of room.

So here's the neat part...0-60 in 5.3 seconds...and this is the best, it actually beats the vette in the quarter mile.

BTW, sticker is 32K-ish

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Originally posted by Brad
So here's the neat part...0-60 in 5.3 seconds...and this is the best, it actually beats the vette in the quarter mile.
I find it hard to believe a much heavier car (about 500 pounds heavier!) with the same motor and narrower tires (245 on the GTO vs 275 on the rear of a regular C5) can beat the Vette in the 1/4. Especially since the Vette has a quicker 0-60 time. But, if the salesman said so...

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the weight of either, but I thought he told me the GTO was lighter. The GTO gets worse gas milage due to worse aerodynamics (also allegedly)

Goat: HP: 350 at 5200 RPM Torque: 365 at 4000 RPM 18 MPG Weight: 3,725
http://autos.*********/newcars/pontiac_gto_coupe_2004/13138/style_specs.html

Corvette: HP 350 at 5200 PRM Torque: 360 at 4000 RPM 21 MPG Weight: 3,210
http://autos.*********/newcars/chevrolet_corvette_convertible_2004/12838/style_specs.html

Originally posted by Brad
I'm not familiar with the weight of either, but I thought he told me the GTO was lighter. The GTO gets worse gas milage due to worse aerodynamics (also allegedly)
Another crack smoking car salesman. What a surprise!

Just so long as you make it clear you are defending crack smokers and not car salesmen.... :D

Brad said:
and those stats don't guarantee that he was incorrect. Yes I agree it's doubtfull
At the risk of sounding confrontational, they do. Acceleration is a function of the horsepower curve and weight with a few other things like aerodynamics, gearing, and traction thrown in. The Vette has much lower weight, better aero, and better traction (tires.) It is a slam dunk for the Vette. The Vette's published 0-60 times are usually about 4.7. It is certainly not going to lose out on the top end to the heavier, less aero package of the GTO.

Now will John Force in the GTO beat my mom driving the Vette? Probably... :D

vette scmette, wait till i get my 94 V8 Bird SCed, open up the exhaust, and maybe even bored and stroked to ice the cake LOL ;) , id still lose to john force in the GTO, but Id would look good losing in a Bird. :cool:

PS dont get me wrong, vettes are beautiful, awesome, speed killers, I just happen to be a bit biased, but since this is the "off" section, ill stop yammering about my Tbird and my wishful thinking :rolleyes:

ok...so if I find an extra 5K laying around and I go for the supercharger for the T-bird (350HP allegedly) maybe you number cruchers can tell me how it would compete with the above?

Yes, allegedly, another reason my birds not charged yet. also, Force or no Force, the Vettes will take a Super Bird obviously, now, like I said, Im a little biased, so that is my chosen path.

Although I like the idea of swapping out for a 02 Explorer engine, supposedly 240-260 Hp, and then charge that up. Most modern SC systems bost 50% increase, so in theory, the right mods could pull over 400HP, but Im nowhere near putting this serious of work and money going into it. And again, these are just theoretical numbers, and my Bird is definitely not in mint condition.

Brad said:
ok...so if I find an extra 5K laying around and I go for the supercharger for the T-bird (350HP allegedly) maybe you number cruchers can tell me how it would compete with the above?
Hmm, interesting. If you are talking about a roots or screw type (they make for a very broad power band) you would have about the same power as the GTO and probably more torque. Traction would be a big problem as I don't think you can get a very wide tire on these new birds. I don't know what our gearing is like, so that is an unknown.

A Vette would definitely get you as they have much lower weight, bigger tires, and better aero.

Brad said:
ok...what if we were talkin a Eaton twin rotor, rear inlet roots type supercharger?

http://www.specialvehicles.com./thunderbird_products.htm

I spoke with the guy doing the R&D He told me they should have one for sale in the next few months (septemberish). He currently has one running on his car, and claims he's getting 400 HP
Cool! I'd ask to see a dyno sheet.

Brad, Ever hear the expression, "You can't turn a pig into a race horse, but you can have a very fast pig."? A Vette is the race horse which weighs about 400-500 pounds less than the Tbird. The GTO on the other hand is probably beatable with 400HP (assuming a nice fat torque curve as well.) The Tbird would be seriously traction limited as Roots blowers build lots of low end torque. But I would be willing to try! :D

Superchargers are a wonderful thing. My wife's 2000 Lightning has about 400 flywheel HP and 460 lb-ft of torque. That thing weighs about 4,600 pounds (11.5 pounds/HP and 10 pounds/lb-ft of tq) but moves out quite impressively. My stock '01 Z06 (385 HP and torque) weighs just 3,120 pounds full of gas (8.1 pounds/hp and 8.1 pounds/lb-ft of tq) and will stomp it due to superior power to weight ratio alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back