Play in the wheel but the steering linkages

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello! I recently purchased a 56 3 speed stick. from a friend that can no longer drive this beauty, but I'm finding some issues that need attention asap! first is the steering is really loose. and there is play in the wheel but the steering linkages, idler arm bushing tie rod ends seem tight, the right side bearings will need to be tightened a little. that's an easy fix. but the steering box.. can I tighten it up a little.

And also the tire size seems off because the upper ball joint's are rubbing on the tires I found the size. they are G78-15 87p
What size is recommended?
Thanks for looking.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Update no rub on the tires when on the ground.. but the steering gear box is spent and will be rebuilt. Also after re packing the wheel bearings all is good there now!

I've never had any luck with the adjustment on steering boxes. After you adjust them, the steering never quite feels right. As far as tire size, I believe f78 or 205 in metric was original size. I'll check into and get back. Make sure you really shake down the front end, sometimes a tie rod or idler or ball joint seems ok until you load it or have someone rock the tires. Worn shocks and springs don't help with a loose feel.

I replace the steering gearbox with the new rebuilt one from rock auto. The tires that are on it are the correct size the only rubbed when the car was lifted in the air and no load was on them. Thank you for your reply !

I replace the steering gearbox with the new rebuilt one from rock auto. The tires that are on it are the correct size the only rubbed when the car was lifted in the air and no load was on them. Thank you for your reply !
Glad to hear you fixed loose steering. Nothing scarier on a windy day. If interested I have 10 n.o.s hubcaps for your bird. Check the classified if interested, Moose

Back