02-05 Overheated bird

M

MarkW

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Was running hotter and recently overheated radiator....discharged anti freeze...ford dealer says is "cracked coolant outlet leaking on engine"....repair est is $1500!!
Does this make sense?
Radiator fan seems excessive noisy ?
Is this common?
Mark,this is one of the many problems with this engine.The coolant outlet that bolts on the engine is plastic and will get frail from heat and crack.Happens to most of us.Your cooling fan is running louder trying to cool .

Heres my input: Do a pressure check on your cooling sysytem. Car doesnt have to be running, in fact you can do it when it is cool. This should pinpoint your leak. If the leak is not detected then I would do the easy thing and replace thermostat first. You never mentioned the year of your tbird. You may have to bleed the sysytem after replacing the thermostat. I checked on the internet the outlet is anywhere from $69-$129 bucks. Unless you dont have the know how then and only then would I take to a dealer. I had to replace my fuel pump and ford dealer wanted $2600. I and a friend did it ourselves. It only cost me $109 for a lifetime warranty pump from oreillys and 4 hours of time. Keep me apprised. Phil

My 2003 started leaking coolant and the fan was getting much louder by the end of a few miles of driving. In searching around I noticed coolant leaking from the plastic pipe behind the thermostat in front of the plenum. I replaced the T housing plastic pipe with one bought at Autozone and added a new thermostat and coolant of course. I followed a YouTube video for a red 2003 Lincoln LS concerned with T housing, thermostat, and overheating problems which runs about 18 minutes, great video. I am a hobby type mechanic but was able to do this very difficult job over about 6 hours time. Car is now cooling well, the t pipe was the problem; a very hard job for me; look at the video; good luck. RH

This is the second time for this problem. I don't have a leak, all new anti-freeze, thermostat. Now when my 03 Bird comes up to temp the fan comes on and will not shut off until I turn the car off. It's sound's like an F- 15 about to take off. No leaks not running hot.

My input: hook up garden hose to heater core turn on hose start engine for ten min-15 min pull off radiator cap let that sucker flush out all that crap. Then check for overheat, willing to bet your heater core is clogged. Problem solved. Keep me informed. Phil

This is the second time for this problem. I don't have a leak, all new anti-freeze, thermostat. Now when my 03 Bird comes up to temp the fan comes on and will not shut off until I turn the car off. It's sound's like an F- 15 about to take off. No leaks not running hot.
My 2004 also. I think that the mechanic put the wrong type of antifreeze in and that it is eroding the seals.
Anyone else have this?

You have air trapped in your system. It needs bled out. Check youtube, they have several ways of bleeding your system. I have a 2002 tbird. Sure would be nice if they would put a bleed screw on the coolant railing. Good luck and keep me advised. Phil

Mine started overheating this week. The antifreeze looks low. Small puddle on garage floor near hoses and plastic thermostat area. Any ideas?

I got same problem, car doesn't overheat but it does leak fluid. I blew upper radiator hose a couple of years ago, not the actual rubber hose but the dam plastic connectors. Went ahead and replaced plastic thermostat housing with new thermostat, then last summer I replaced the lower radiator hose. Now it SOMETIMES leaks and sometimes it doesn't leak. I can smell antifreeze and sometimes a very light steam can be seen coming from under the hood. It is coming from the front of the engine, either radiator or God forbid the dam water pump. I've got to the point I don't drive the car more than 3 miles one way anymore. I drive it to golf course about 3 miles away park it for a couple of hours then drive it home or I drive it to a local sports bar about 2 miles away to get some wings and 2 beers then drive it home. For a while there I was adding about 16oz of water/antifreeze for a couple of those trips but lately I haven't had to add any.

I've gotten to the point where I've tired of sticking money in the thing, and driving it no more than 3 miles one way I can live with just adding water every once in a while. If you find your leak let us know, and good luck!

My 2004 also. I think that the mechanic put the wrong type of antifreeze in and that it is eroding the seals.
Anyone else have this?
My Fan would come on and would not shut off until
Anyone else have this?
On mine the fan would not shut off. Found out the water pump was bad. Had it replaced, the plastic housing, and thermoststat. Someone at ford service put the wrong antifreeze in it. Now my bird runs like a new car again.

I have a 2005 T-Bird with 66K miles that suddenly started to overheat intermittently. It would heat up but then if I shut it off for only 2-3 minutes, the gage goes back to normal and no problem and can drive it again. When it is overheating, we here a boiling sound coming from the engine compartment around the radiator filler cap just on the other side of the firewall on the driver side. We took it to a shop after the first time and they couldn't locate the problem. It has happened 3 more times since then. I'm thinking of having the thermostat replaced and have the coolant system flushed. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!!

BR, just a guess put it sounds to me like the cooling system has air in it. You are on the right track by flushing the system. After they flush the radiator make sure they bleed the system of any air. There is an "air bleed" valve on the driver side firewall, next to the "coolant fill/overflow reservoir". There are several youtube videos on how to get the air out - look for Lincoln LS V8 from 2002-2005. Same engine and system as in Tbirds.

My input: hook up garden hose to heater core turn on hose start engine for ten min-15 min pull off radiator cap let that sucker flush out all that crap. Then check for overheat, willing to bet your heater core is clogged. Problem solved. Keep me informed. Phil
where exactly do you hook up garden hose? And, do you put on heat when car running for 10-15 minutes?

Having the same problem the upper radiator plastic tee and the thermostat housing blew out have starting over heating but could shut engine off wait a couple minutes and would go back normal temp. Have bled the system couple times now seems to not be over heating but losing fluid. Hope plastic end on radiator are not to blame now. Leak is small just can't seem to find where.

Back