Outside CAR COVER needed for '02

VolleyballJIM

VolleyballJIM

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I spent $150 (reg., allegedly, $325 or something high like that ) car cover. Well, 10 months later, it's TOAST. Burnt on the top to white (it was grey to start with) and now getting little cuts (READ: Water leaks through). The good news: I can't imagine what my car would look like without it having been on, BAD NEWS: I need a new one and wouldn't buy one that only lasted that long (is that my "unreasonable expectations?"). Regardless, I am at the mercy of you owners and will log and research every "recommended" top.

I am thinking of getting one that goes over the sideview mirrors (current one doesn't) as that might hold it down (wind) better than without.

Anyway, any recommendations for an outdoor CAR COVER for my 2002 T-Bird?

Thanks!

my first one was the more expensive one that is flannel lined. bad choice, the flannel sticks to the conv top and looks like snow. second cover , no flannel, much better

my first one was the more expensive one that is flannel lined. bad choice, the flannel sticks to the conv top and looks like snow. second cover , no flannel, much better
Yep, mine has flannel and it's all over the top

I spent $150 (reg., allegedly, $325 or something high like that ) car cover. Well, 10 months later, it's TOAST. Burnt on the top to white (it was grey to start with) and now getting little cuts (READ: Water leaks through). The good news: I can't imagine what my car would look like without it having been on, BAD NEWS: I need a new one and wouldn't buy one that only lasted that long (is that my "unreasonable expectations?"). Regardless, I am at the mercy of you owners and will log and research every "recommended" top.

I am thinking of getting one that goes over the sideview mirrors (current one doesn't) as that might hold it down (wind) better than without.

Anyway, any recommendations for an outdoor CAR COVER for my 2002 T-Bird?

Thanks!
I have one that is new with mirror pockets that I don,t use because it was a pain for one person to put on

I used my cover a couple times inside the garage only as a dust cover was never outside. I am now using movers blankets and if you have a black conv top, it will always show dust or lint. I didn't notice any lint from this cover and there is no lining inside

I used my cover a couple times inside the garage only as a dust cover was never outside. I am now using movers blankets and if you have a black conv top, it will always show dust or lint. I didn't notice any lint from this cover and there is no lining inside
$35 plus shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like my cover is like yours that only lasted one summer out in the sun. In many years of trying to protect the things that need to be left outside I have come to the conclusion that the covers will be 'consumables' to the elements. My solution is to buy the cheaper ones and cover the cover. It doesn't hurt as bad when you have to throw it away. The '03 sits out for summer. I bought a new cover and use the old cover to protect it from the sun while the new cover underneath keeps out the water, rotating in the new as needed. Roll them up together when taking them off and install. My wife hates that part! Also getting the fuzz on the top. Try a lint roller like you use on you clothing.
Waterproof covers on Ebay for $30-$40, the A5 size worked nicely.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Car-Cover-Multi-Size-Rain-Sun-Ice-Snow-Dust-Resistant-Waterproof-Protection/253494650452?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=552679710145&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
I have had this cover going on 2 years and it is still in great shape i have an '03. Made by cover king.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CY5C2W/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

FredDog454 - this cover you recommended - you use it outside and during the winter months, too? I live the the Detroit MI area and was wondering how I was going to store my 2002 Thunderbird since I don't have room in the garage for 2 cars... Would you recommend it for Michigan winters, too?
lmc

FredDog454 - this cover you recommended - you use it outside and during the winter months, too? I live the the Detroit MI area and was wondering how I was going to store my 2002 Thunderbird since I don't have room in the garage for 2 cars... Would you recommend it for Michigan winters, too?
lmc
I live in Massachusetts and during the winter I place a tarp over this cover to protect against ice damage.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: lmc
I live in Massachusetts and during the winter I place a tarp over this cover to protect against ice damage.
one question about this tarp cover - what type of tarp do you use and how do you secure it so that it doesn't blow off?
Thank you so much, FredDog454. lmc

Back