Oil light 1955--came on

T

T-Bird Bobby

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The oil light came on my 1955 Bird the other day. It has plenty of new oil. I removed the valve cover and there is oil there--so I know it is pumping. The sending wire is attached. I use plain 30 weight oil--based on the recommendation of the prior owner whose family had the car for 60+ years In my two years of ownership I take it for short drives a couple of times each month. The other day when it came on was one of the longer drives --went about 20 miles on the HWY at 65 mph. The light came on during the return trip. I have since just run the engine in my garage twice and the oil light comes on at start up and then goes away and doesn't come back on. Thoughts?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just went through this myself. My very trusty 57 all of a sudden had an intermittent oil light issue. On/off/back on. No consistency. Turned out the wire from the sender to the connector to the interior had about 3/4" where the insulation was gone. When it grounded to the block, the light came on. New wire, problem solved

when I check the oil using the dipstick there is plenty of oil BUT the oil light stays on. Anyone have an answer to this ?? thanks

Something you may want to do is get an actual oil pressure gauge ( a mechanical one) and screw it in and check you oil pressure when warm. You may be experiencing low oil pressure if you have a high mileage motor.

The oil pressure light is looking for a ground through the switch
Make sure the wire to the switch is free of shorts to ground
And as stated, check it with a pressure gauge

Pull a valve cover to see if the oil is coming up, If so, then it's the sending unit or the wire going to it. The wire from the main harness to the sender can be bought separately

Back