OBD dongle - which one? Side window issue

carlimann
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After spending hours and hours trying to make the sidewidows of my 2002 T-Bird go up and down like they should, we finally gave it up. The switches are ok, so are the motors. The issue first appeared, when we mounted the hardtop. From then on, the windows stayed down and did not move an inch. We did all the usual things, like disconecting and reconnecting the battery, taking off the hardtop again, pressing and holding the switches - nothing helped!
Over here in Germany, nobody knows this car. And nobody can repair it. My garage guy had the idea of getting further with the window issue, by checking the electrical sytem via OBD. He even has the software, but only for the engine. Has somebody got an idea, from where I could get what I need for checking the whole system? I‘ve seen, that Summit offers OBD dongles and readers for my car, but I donˋt know, which is the one I need.
Thanks for your help!

Only a suggestion, you didn't mention checking the fuse? As well, take the door panels off, easy to do...several U-tube demos are online, and observe what happens or not, when you engage the control. I wonder if the rear window defroster and windows are on the same circuit, perhaps you pinched a wire for it when you put thr top on?

John V.

Only a suggestion, you didn't mention checking the fuse? As well, take the door panels off, easy to do...several U-tube demos are online, and observe what happens or not, when you engage the control. I wonder if the rear window defroster and windows are on the same circuit, perhaps you pinched a wire for it when you put thr top on?

John V.
We did check the fuses; they were ok. Wè´ll check out, if the side widows and the defroster are on the same circuit. We took the hardtop off, but nothing happened. The windows stay down. They did lift by themselves once. Each time when opening the doors, the windows went down a bit, but did´nt go up again. Once down all the way, they stayed down. Funny is, that you can hear the relay of the blinkers over the loudspeakers of the radio?!?

I have the 2002 TBird Workshop manuals and the wiring diagrams book. I will take a look and see if there is a fix for this. Perhaps when putting on the hardtop, or when you guys were trying to find the solution to the windows you may have created another issue with the hearing the blinkers over the loudspeakers.

This could well be ..... we blew 3 fuses, trying to find the reason, why the windows stay down. We took off the door panels and raised them mechanicaly, but then, each time we opened the doors, the windows went down about an inch, until they disapeared completly in the doors (and did‘nt go up again).
Thanks to you for looking in the manual! I hope you‘ll find something

Carlimann, did your garage guy (mechanic) get any codes when he scanned the engine? Any codes or pending codes? Let us know what those codes are if you can. BTW, If you end up needing a new FEM or REM, it is not a clean swap. The new modules needs to be flashed (software transferred) from the old units. And thats probably going to be hard to do if you cannot find anyone with FORD capabilities. I am posting pics of pages out of the workshop manual and hopefully it will help. Read each page carefully. I do hope this helps.

Carlimann, I had trouble uploading the pages..

Attachments

• WireDiagram_1.JPG
    WireDiagram_1.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 0
  • WireDiagram_2.JPG
    WireDiagram_2.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 0
  • WireDiagram_3.JPG
    WireDiagram_3.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
Carlimann, more pics from the workshop book

Attachments

• Page2.JPG
    Page2.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Page1.JPG
    Page1.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Page3.JPG
    Page3.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Page4.JPG
    Page4.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 0
Carlimann, last pic

Attachments

• Page5.JPG
    Page5.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks a lot for your help! With a little luck, I‘m going to get an OBD scanner, that can read all the car’s codes, tomorrow. I’ll let you know, which errors will be found. We do have Ford dealerships over here and you can even buy the actual Mustang now. Maybe the software is similar. Another chance I have: the Jaguar S-Type is available too. Jaguar and TBird seem to be alike technically.

Back