No Radio Power and Voltage Regulator 1973

B

BigBird28

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So I’m in the process of replacing the stock radio with a Retrosound. I believe I wired everything correctly and connected a Floating ground adapter for the speakers.

When I turned the ignition on, no power to the radio. I removed the power antenna motor so I deleted the switch and connected the yellow black hash wire (which I believe is the 12v constant) as I thought maybe the power was getting sapped through there. Tried it again but nothing.

Checked the yellow BH wire with a multimeter and was reading less than 1V. I looked over the wiring diagram and believe the Yellow BH wire is the constant and the other wire that connects to the radio, the Light Blue red, is ignition.

I followed the wires on the diagram back as far as I could and saw the LBR connecting to the IP and the YBH connecting to a radio noise suppressor and voltage regulator via a bus bar. I am thinking of deleting the suppressor and replacing the voltage regulator (both behind the IP).

I’m swapping the old radio because I was getting super bad AM reception and no FM reception but now I’m starting to think the wire that should be constant 12V is damaged or losing power somewhere rather than the stock radio being faulty.

Anybody ever experience anything like this or know if I’m on the right track with the voltage regulator?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

So I’m in the process of replacing the stock radio with a Retrosound. I believe I wired everything correctly and connected a Floating ground adapter for the speakers.

When I turned the ignition on, no power to the radio. I removed the power antenna motor so I deleted the switch and connected the yellow black hash wire (which I believe is the 12v constant) as I thought maybe the power was getting sapped through there. Tried it again but nothing.

Checked the yellow BH wire with a multimeter and was reading less than 1V. I looked over the wiring diagram and believe the Yellow BH wire is the constant and the other wire that connects to the radio, the Light Blue red, is ignition.

I followed the wires on the diagram back as far as I could and saw the LBR connecting to the IP and the YBH connecting to a radio noise suppressor and voltage regulator via a bus bar. I am thinking of deleting the suppressor and replacing the voltage regulator (both behind the IP).

I’m swapping the old radio because I was getting super bad AM reception and no FM reception but now I’m starting to think the wire that should be constant 12V is damaged or losing power somewhere rather than the stock radio being faulty.

Anybody ever experience anything like this or know if I’m on the right track with the voltage regulator?
Just for everyone's reference, I ended up rewiring the speakers to bypass that common ground system. Attaching a positive and ground speaker wire to the stock speakers and installing the radio in the dash to ground it has worked great. I did end up running a wire directly to the battery for constant 12v+ with an inline fuse but was able to use the existing ignition 12v+. I believe that wire was yellow with black hashes but a multimeter should give you answers. In short, don't bother with adapters to accommodate the floating ground, just run new wires directly to the speakers from the new radio.

Back