Newbie here. 1966 Hardtop

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all. I just acquired a 1966 hardtop. It was found in an old barn inside a paint booth and was going to be painted. Been sitting for 25 years. I was told everything is there, trim, wheelcovers, etc. Solid body with no rust other than the battery tray. The odometer reads 89k and the engine is not seized. I know to put Marvel Mystery oil down the plug holes and crank it briefly. Besides plugs, points and maybe wires and feeding the fuel pump from a gas can is there any advice you members may have? I don't know if I will restore it or not. I do know you never get your money back. What do you think it's worth as it sits? Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• IMG_2031.JPG
    IMG_2031.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 0

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Welcome to the club Shayne!
Looks like a nice find, well optioned...clean. you would do well to spend some time & money on it.
Color combo is similar to mine.
Fellow members here Will be glad to lend advice. Good luck & be sure to post your progress!

Welcome to the club Shayne!
Looks like a nice find, well optioned...clean. you would do well to spend some time & money on it.
Color combo is similar to mine.
Fellow members here Will be glad to lend advice. Good luck & be sure to post your progress!
Thanks much! The original exterior color is actually maroon. It's been sanded and primed.

Hello all. I just acquired a 1966 hardtop. It was found in an old barn inside a paint booth and was going to be painted. Been sitting for 25 years. I was told everything is there, trim, wheelcovers, etc. Solid body with no rust other than the battery tray. The odometer reads 89k and the engine is not seized. I know to put Marvel Mystery oil down the plug holes and crank it briefly. Besides plugs, points and maybe wires and feeding the fuel pump from a gas can is there any advice you members may have? I don't know if I will restore it or not. I do know you never get your money back. What do you think it's worth as it sits? Thanks for the input!

Shayne,
I can only advise you DON’T DO IT! The pictures show it if far too gone to even think you will get your money back. I am in the middle of doing a ‘66 Town Landau with 428 power. It has all options, a rebuilt motor and trans (numbers matching), the interior is perfect and original (I replaced foam on seat bottoms in front),?It is a California no rust vehicle that had been in a garage since 1999. I paid $6000 or it and will have a total of $10,000 in it when done, including new paint. I can maybe get $16,000 on a good day.
I have done a ‘56 and ‘62 Factory Roadster, so have some experience with T-birds..... sell it for parts or as a project car for about $2000 if you can get it. Sorry to burst your bubble.
JOHN

I don't want to pile on, but I agree with John A. IMO, the '66 Tbird just doesn't have the value of the big names like Mustang, Camaro or Chevelle. We purchased our '66 for $3k with good steel, bright work and glass, rebuilt tranny and rear end, most options technically working, perfect Landau roof, a nice repaint and near mint interior but tired suspension and motor. The previous owner did a rolling resto before getting tired of always repairing stuff. We spent over $1k on tune-up, brakes and suspension when we first got it. Since July we dropped $1500 in just parts to replace weatherstrip, windshield install, add new carpet with insulation, add window relays and replace rear vac pods. With the exception of a few vac pods and manifolds I've replaced the entire vacuum system, there's a lot of it.

Would this be your first complete restoration? I've done a few frame offs and a bunch of rolling restos over the years. IMHO, a Thunderbird is a terrible choice for a 1st or 2nd restoration if you don't have a few restos under your belt and can't do your own body work. It has a lot of unique parts and is very large in size. The opposite side of the spectrum would be a Mustang or Camaro. Again, that's just my opinion and I'm not trying to talk smack or offend.

I agree with others against doing a restoration since the return of investment is not there. It does look like a great driver quality car though. Just needs paint to look good and then all the mechanical stuff from sitting. If you can keep your total investment under $7000 you shouldn't lose too much money. You will have to do everything yourself, but it's doubtful that you were planning on hiring it done anyway. Most hobbies cost time and money.

I can't disagree with the comments above BUT, they do make a few assumptions that may not apply to you. What is your mechanical ability, do you really like 66 T-Birds and do you want a hobby? If the answer to those three questions is yes, than this may be just the car for you since you have it for Free. If the answer is no, sell it as mentioned above.

However if the answer is yes to all three, and you have done some automotive work, make a real good assessment of the car's condition (ask for help if necessary) and determine if you can return it to a be a reasonable driver without doing a full restoration. A full restoration will be expensive: look in Hemmings for the price of a fully restored 66, and then double it. That is the kind of money you will be talking. If on the other hand you don't need to rebuild the engine and transmission and the body is really rust free, you may be able to get it back on the road and have a nice driver that you can enjoy. The above mentioned assessment will help you determine if this is possible. It would be hard for me to imagine spending less than $20K on the car in the pictures to get it to be a reliable driver.

But, in any event,you still will not get all of your money back, regardless of what you do. But then the vast majority of people with old cars do not get their money back (the actual dollars, never mind the time they spent). But they do get something: 1) the satisfaction of having "restored' the car themselves and 2) the fun of driving it around.

Hope this helps,
Doug

I've got a 1964 money pit.

Here's the deal: A Thunderbird is a great car, but an awful project. It is one of the worst cars you can buy when it comes to fixing it up and trying to sell it -- but if you like working on cars, and intend to keep it for yourself, and don't mind taking the time, go for it.

When it was new, a Thunderbird was two Mustangs. It was essentially a Lincoln, but sold through Ford dealers because they attracted customers. In fact, the clay model used for the 1961 Lincoln was originally supposed to be a Thunderbird -- they added two doors and voila! Then started over. What I don't understand is why such an exotic and sharp-looking car, one that was used in TV shows and movies galore, is such a yawner in today's car circles. They still attract attention everywhere they go. I can take my car to a show and a crowd gathers to take pictures -- even though my car is still a bit rough around the edges. But to try and sell it, I wonder if the car itself is worth more than the gas in the tank.

BUT -- I really think the day will come when these cars get "discovered." Analogy: Remember I work with radios, and have collected antique sets for many years. For most of those years, I've heard lots of conversations about console stereos -- you know, those big Magnavox consoles that most people had in their living rooms back in the 1960's and early 70's. Someone would find one in immaculate condition, ask what it's worth, and the response was to throw it in the dumpster -- it's worthless. Then almost overnight, suddenly they are in demand, getting $500-800 or even more! Young people are snapping them up like crazy, to the point where vinyl records started outpacing CD's. My daughter and son-in-law just bought a Motorola set, then immediately went out and bought $200 worth of record albums!

Go ahead, keep scrapping these Birds, and one day someone will notice what a nice car it is, and demand will overcome the remaining supply. I don't know when it will happen, but it will happen.

Bottom line from this rant: that car is a diamond in the rough. If you're looking for a car to tinker with and sell for another, run from it as fast as you can. If you really like the car and want to fix and keep it, you might do well to buy and fix this one, as opposed to buying some "finished" car that might be a pile of junk under a pretty paint job.

Last edited:
I’ve got a ‘69 Galaxie that’s kind of the same deal. On the other hand, a guy like me can afford to buy one. I’m more buy and hold anyway, I just like driving and working on these old cars. And tell you what, these T Birds get lots of smiles and thumbs up wherever we drive them, right?

That's what gets to me, just a tad. These cars turn heads! Did it then, they do it now. Seriously, I've watched from the DJ trailer, spectators look at an entire show field of cars -- Mustangs, Corvettes, GTO's, Chevelles, various T-Buckets, then suddenly they stop at my car and begin taking pictures -- and pointing out the car to friends. BUT -- the same shows, the same cars, the CAR people will snap photos of every other car on the lot, to post on Facebook, and skip over mine. Seems they're interested in the muscle -- any Mustang kinda looks like a GT-350 or Shelby or somesuch, even though it's only got six plugs. A Chevelle looks like an SS-396; a Tempest looks like a goat. A T-Bird, well, I guess they offered a landau or maybe a Monaco (what's a Monaco?) but no muscle versions. Fact is, it IS a muscle car, similar to a GTO, it just weighs twice as much and comes with an automatic. As for spectators, they've seen so many Mustangs and Corvettes that they couldn't care less. But the big Thunderbird, the only one on the lot, people stop and tell me about the one Uncle Fred used to have. Even my wife -- growing up she had a neighbor who owned a Thunderbird. They're that memorable.

Once again, what I'm afraid of is NOT a rough, low-mileage car, as much as a sharp looker with junk underneath. Methinks a lot of Bird owners keep the cars polished but do bare-bones mechanical work, afraid to spend money due to the car's low value. Keep doing this, and one day they'll disappear to the point where the cars suddenly get discovered and the value shoots up.

Thought I would give an update since I got this car in July. Just so everyone knows I didn't pay anything for the car so I am out nothing from the start. I picked it up in an auto parts lot sale and the reselling of the parts are paying for it's coming back to life. The car has no rust, no bondo and is very solid. I changed the plugs, points, rotor, cap, etc., and had it running out of a can in a few weeks. That engine sounds so sweet! I have since stripped the interior, POR 15 the floor and plan on new insulation, rug, etc. Before I drop the gas tank I am now doing the brake lines, hoses, master cylinder, rotors, etc. I also had to replace all of the freeze plugs and put in a new water pump. Not looking forward to the vacuum line replacement! I do understand the ROI thing. I once did a 1947 Chev 1 ton panel. Spent $40k and only got $15k back. This car sort of just fell in my lap and I always loved the wrap around rear seating and the "George Jetson" dash! Not to mention the one and only swing away steering wheel!

Very cool! You’re definitely on a roll, Stayne. Keep us posted on progress please. We’re long on advice and pep talks:)

Good for you, never mind the naysayers! Yes, this gen Tbird's value is yet to reach ROI numbers, but many of us don't plan on flipping them. We are content to drive them as they are and appreciate them for what they are: time capsules for a period when automakers designed cars for style & substance. In short, if it "moves" YOU, keep it. If it doesn't, "move on".

I’m pretty sure that our T Bird passion is less expensive than therapy and a lot more effective.

I believe everyone came up with good reasons for pros and cons on this. I'd just like to throw-out there that "just because I feel like it" is also an acceptable reason for choosing a certain car to put money into. :) The only exception is any 80's K car! This is the hill I will die on.:p

As for the vaccum thing, it's incredible simple if you remove the dash board. I pulled all my hoses and used them as a template to make a...vacuum harness. I reinstalled the harness as a unit and it all worked out great. It is possible to change all the tubes and pods with the dash in place but it's not easy.

I just wanted to say...I think when we fix up these treasures we are saving a bit of history. Sounds corny but in actuality that is what is being done. I don't have any plans for her other than making her a safe driver and getting her painted. After all, she has been waiting to get painted in the paint booth for 20 years! Other "non car loving" people would have taken her to recycling.

You've certainly done the right thing by replacing the brakes. With the motor running good, there is one other thing to expect -- rear axle. When a car sits for years, the gear oil settles and the "exposed" portions of the gears and bearings will start to rust. When you start driving the car, all will appear fine, at first. After awhile you'll start to get a growling noise, and you'll find the axle bearings are shot -- and the differential won't be far behind. This is not an extreme expense, and the good news is you'll only have to mess with it once.

Hi all. The design of the Flair Bird is, well, out of this world. Are you guys familiar with the 1962 Ford Seattle-ITE XXI Concept Car? This is what cars were supposed to look like by the year 2000. The designer was Alexander Tremulis who also made the first speculative drawings of what extraterrestrial life forms would use as transportation to visit the Earth.

My theory is the Flair Bird design drew design cues from the ITE Concept Car design. Check out the profile of the open passenger door, stance of the car and body lines. Definitely a head turner and as one observer said, was designed to "inspire envy in the neighbors and let middle-aged businessmen pretend every trip to the store was an interplanetary mission".

A pity we still don't have flying cars!

Doug

upload_2018-11-20_11-22-52.png

upload_2018-11-20_11-19-55.png

upload_2018-11-20_11-20-31.png

upload_2018-11-20_11-21-14.png

Last edited:
Back