New to working on cars/62 starter removal

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
20190505_105501.jpg 20190505_105434.jpg 20190505_105523.jpg Hey guys! Turned 17 last December and my parents were gracious enough to but me a 62 t bird to fix up as I want to work on cars more. It stopped turning over about 2 weeks ago, and I havent gotten around to replacing the starter until today, however I'm running into a problem. I got evrything unbolted and disconnected, but theres not enough space to remove it. Above it is the exhaust manifold and directly in front of it is something connected to the engine block that connects to suspension. Do I need to remove this to remove the starter? I was under the impression that it was an easy job.

My old Chilton's manual says disconnect the battery, disconnect the wire(s) at the starter, unbolt the starter. Then it says lift out the starter. That leads me to believe the starter comes out the top and it sounds to me like you are trying to take it out the bottom. Are you trying to take it out the top?

Hey M88, you have cool parents!

Are you sure the starter is bad? Several other things you could check if you haven’t already. There’s a starter relay that is probably mounted next to the radiator, if that’s bad she won’t start when you turn the key, but you can short across the terminals to send power directly to the starter. Also, dirty battery terminals and loose cables. You can also smack the starter with a hammer and see if that gets it going.

You’ve come to the right place for help by the way.

Doug

Hey M88, you have cool parents!

Are you sure the starter is bad? Several other things you could check if you haven’t already. There’s a starter relay that is probably mounted next to the radiator, if that’s bad she won’t when you turn the key, but you can short across the terminals to send power directly to the starter. Also, dirty battery terminals and loose cables. You can also smack the starter with a hammer and see if that gets it going.

You’ve come to the right place for help by the way.

Doug
I'm reasonably sure that its the starter. When I turn the key, I hear the solenoid by the radiator and above battery making noise, but that's it. My dad told me the hammer trick, but it didnt work.

I'm reasonably sure that its the starter. When I turn the key, I hear the solenoid by the radiator and above battery making noise, but that's it. My dad told me the hammer trick, but it didnt work.
Nice, sounds like you’ve got it covered. Steven would know best but I think the starter on your car has a long shaft with a bendix on the end. When the starter motor spools up the bendix moves toward the motor to engage with the flywheel. What you’re probably hearing is the starter relay clicking which should mean it’s sending power to the starter.

I believe the starter on my '64 is the same but at some point Ford switched to a starter that looks more like modern starters where the spinning motor pushes the bendix forward to engage with the flywheel.

My old Chilton's manual says disconnect the battery, disconnect the wire(s) at the starter, unbolt the starter. Then it says lift out the starter. That leads me to believe the starter comes out the top and it sounds to me like you are trying to take it out the bottom. Are you trying to take it out the top?
I dont see how I could take it put from the top, the exhaust manifold is in the way. I get one of my hands around the starter, but not enough to even wiggle it out part way.

Attachments

• 20190505_160344.jpg
    20190505_160344.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
View attachment 3783 View attachment 3784 View attachment 3786 Hey guys! Turned 17 last December and my parents were gracious enough to but me a 62 t bird to fix up as I want to work on cars more. It stopped turning over about 2 weeks ago, and I havent gotten around to replacing the starter until today, however I'm running into a problem. I got evrything unbolted and disconnected, but theres not enough space to remove it. Above it is the exhaust manifold and directly in front of it is something connected to the engine block that connects to suspension. Do I need to remove this to remove the starter? I was under the impression that it was an easy job.

My 62 shop manual says it should come out from the bottom. It says you may have to tilt the starter to free the drive gear from the fly wheel. It also says if you have the high performance engine you will have to remove the exhaust manifold. I doubt you have this engine. I can see where removing the steering linkage would make it easier. Unfortunately I'm not speaking from experience. Good luck

My 62 shop manual says it should come out from the bottom. It says you may have to tilt the starter to free the drive gear from the fly wheel. It also says if you have the high performance engine you will have to remove the exhaust manifold. I doubt you have this engine. I can see where removing the steering linkage would make it easier. Unfortunately I'm not speaking from experience. Good luck

I would believe the actual shop manual more so than a Chilton's manual. Thank you for the information. And yes, when I went back to look at the Chilton's it also mentioned you have to tilt the starter to get it to clear and come out of the bell housing.

Hi Steven. I've not taken one of these old style starters out, but I'd imagine what happens is that the bendix is behind the flywheel, so the starter has to be tilted so the bendix can clear the flywheel on the way out. Is that correct?

Doug

Hi Steven. I've not taken one of these old style starters out, but I'd imagine what happens is that the bendix is behind the flywheel, so the starter has to be tilted so the bendix can clear the flywheel on the way out. Is that correct?

Doug
I don't really know the answer. I just know that some starters had a very long shaft / bendix on them and you had to pull them out enough to clear the bellhousing before trying to get it out of the car.

Hi I've a 62, doubt you could get the starter out from above due to the exhaust, better from below but the steering drag link might be in the way so try turning the steering and you might find the bar moves enough for you to clear it - if this is what you mean otherwise are you talking about the chassis tube support? You have to jack the engine up off the mount to clear that.

Hi I've a 62, doubt you could get the starter out from above due to the exhaust, better from below but the steering drag link might be in the way so try turning the steering and you might find the bar moves enough for you to clear it - if this is what you mean otherwise are you talking about the chassis tube support? You have to jack the engine up off the mount to clear that.
Sorry for the inactivity, but I think it might be the drag link its hitting. As I said I'm 17 and I have a general idea of car parts, but not specific things. I'll try turning it and see if it helps

Steering didnt help so I'm going g to post some pictures to help illuminate the situation even more

These are 2 different views of what its hitting

Attachments

• 20190519_100821.jpg
    20190519_100821.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20190519_102403.jpg
    20190519_102403.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 3
And heres a picture of the new starter to give some idea of how long the shaft is

Attachments

• 20190519_101914.jpg
    20190519_101914.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Back