New Project... 2003 Triple Black

Slowwalker3045

Slowwalker3045

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Well joined last week because i found this sitting in a driveway, left a note to see if will sell. Lady said it needs a motor give me $300 and take it away lol. I said deal. I got my buddy down and loaded before she changed her mind. I got hard top storage rack and soft top tonneau cover a bike rack and snows on rims with it . I think i did ok lol. Got it to buddies and put booster cables to it, runs great except misfire and coil pack code po351. ordered 8 coil packs and plugs and battery today. New tires and brakes just before the motor blew according the garage she took it too. Will be fun project, and think its the high millage winner from what i see. 317000 KM , so just over 180000 miles. She did say she loved to drive it.

Attachments

• tb.jpg
    tb.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 2

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just got finished installing plugs and coils on our '05. The only hard part of the job is removing two of the 12 7mm bolts holding dow the coil covers. You need an assortment of 1/4" sockets, extensions and a universal . Also a magnetic pickup tool comes in handy. You also need a 3/8" socket with three short extensions for the plugs. There are videos on You-Tube that are helpful. It took me about four hours (three hrs to get the twelve bolts out and in and one hr to change the plugs and coils. I haven't had it out for a test drive it yet but I'll let you know if it didn't take care of the mis-fire.
Good luck with your project, they are wonderful driving cars but expensive to have a shop work on them. We bought our's new and it has 41,000 miles and still looks and drives like new. j&d

Just got finished installing plugs and coils on our '05. The only hard part of the job is removing two of the 12 7mm bolts holding dow the coil covers. You need an assortment of 1/4" sockets, extensions and a universal . Also a magnetic pickup tool comes in handy. You also need a 3/8" socket with three short extensions for the plugs. There are videos on You-Tube that are helpful. It took me about four hours (three hrs to get the twelve bolts out and in and one hr to change the plugs and coils. I haven't had it out for a test drive it yet but I'll let you know if it didn't take care of the miss-fire.
Good luck with your project, they are wonderful driving cars but expensive to have a shop work on them. We bought our's new and it has 41,000 miles and still looks and drives like new. j&d
J & D
Good job, im sure it is running like a top. Would of loved one from new, glad you still have her :). Im a retired mechanic so im used to tight crappy jobs. The interesting thing for me will im now in a wheelchair but use a brace and crutches to walk so flopping over the fenders with my long arms will be the trick. Im up for the challenge and very excited to bust the tools out for the first time in 4 years. I have never worked on one of these and always loved the look of them. Cant wait to drive it.

Well joined last week because i found this sitting in a driveway, left a note to see if will sell. Lady said it needs a motor give me $300 and take it away lol. I said deal. I got my buddy down and loaded before she changed her mind. I got hard top storage rack and soft top tonneau cover a bike rack and snows on rims with it . I think i did ok lol. Got it to buddies and put booster cables to it, runs great except misfire and coil pack code po351. ordered 8 coil packs and plugs and battery today. New tires and brakes just before the motor blew according the garage she took it too. Will be fun project, and think its the high millage winner from what i see. 317000 KM , so just over 180000 miles. She did say she loved to drive it.
Thanks for sharing your story! Welcome to the forum! Would you sell it for 600 and double your money? Haha JK.

Thanks for sharing your story! Welcome to the forum! Would you sell it for 600 and double your money? Haha JK.
He could get $600 from just the hardtop. I wonder why she was told that the engine was blown. Incompetence or someone trying to take advantage of her. She definitely needed better advice. I feel sorry for her.

I ran into an owner about year and a half ago here in Dallas, Georgia who had one with over 270k miles. On her third transmission was her biggest cost.

He could get $600 from just the hardtop. I wonder why she was told that the engine was blown. Incompetence or someone trying to take advantage of her. She definitely needed better advice. I feel sorry for her.
As far as I can tell from her they have her a quote for $4200 . But also said they didn't have time to work on it and didn't recommend she fixed it. Then said that they would tow it to her house for her.
I told her when I get it all up and running and detailed I'll drop it off for the weekend for her to drive. She was happy to hear about that.

Just wanted to let you know I test drove the '05 today and it's running like new !!
I had my doubts that this was the problem when all the old plugs looked great and all the coils showed continuity with my ohm-meter, thank goodness and this forum for the solution. j&d

You should have been wearing a mask! I have 175,000+ on my daily driver. Mileage is not as important as good maintenance. My PCR looks and runs like new.

As far as I can tell from her they have her a quote for $4200 . But also said they didn't have time to work on it and didn't recommend she fixed it. Then said that they would tow it to her house for her.
I told her when I get it all up and running and detailed I'll drop it off for the weekend for her to drive. She was happy to hear about that.
Very nice of you to do that for her. Glad that your disability doesn’t stop you from doing the things that you enjoy. My wife is also in a chair so I know how important that is.

Just wanted to let you know I test drove the '05 today and it's running like new !!
I had my doubts that this was the problem when all the old plugs looked great and all the coils showed continuity with my ohm-meter, thank goodness and this forum for the solution. j&d
Glad to hear it's running great, good job!
Yes I have to agree in the short time I've been here I've probably read 400 post, this forum is awesome!!!

You should have been wearing a mask! I have 175,000+ on my daily driver. Mileage is not as important as good maintenance. My PCR looks and runs like new.
Yeah part of me feels bad because I know I stole it, I can't wait to get it on the road.

Yeah part of me feels bad because I know I stole it, I can't wait to get it on the road.

Don"t feel bad for the previous owner, she had the joy of putting those miles on it. On the other hand, We should all feel bad for the owners who have less than 5,000 miles on an 14-18 year old garage queen! While we all like the smell of a new car, that goes away even in the garage. Thunderbirds were made to be driven. Owners were made to drive and maintain them. I am sunburned because if it is not raining the top is down winter, spring, Texas summer, and fall. My only regret is I can not get a group of Dallas area owners to join me for a 100 mile Saturday trip.

Don"t feel bad for the previous owner, she had the joy of putting those miles on it. On the other hand, We should all feel bad for the owners who have less than 5,000 miles on an 14-18 year old garage queen! While we all like the smell of a new car, that goes away even in the garage. Thunderbirds were made to be driven. Owners were made to drive and maintain them. I am sunburned because if it is not raining the top is down winter, spring, Texas summer, and fall. My only regret is I can not get a group of Dallas area owners to join me for a 100 mile Saturday trip.
You can replace the new car smell.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/produc...MI3pT79YrA4wIVhJ6fCh0DfgfrEAQYASABEgJdr_D_BwE

As a melanoma survivor, please wear sunscreen with the top down.
Congratulations on whipping it. Yes I use SPF70 on my arms and ears and a hat on my head. Thanks for caring. Drive safely, enjoy life.

Back