New Member looking for 03-05

Status
Not open for further replies.
C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
Greetings. I live in Medford, NJ and have been lurking here for awhile to get a feel for the community and, more importantly, the pros and cons of the RetroBird. I still remember the first one I saw at the Philadelphia Auto Show In 2001. The car stole the show. I didn’t purchase one and waited hoping a manual transmission would be introduced. That was not to be.

I’m now in the market for a 2003-05. I’m still trying to get a feel for the market and the subtle difference in the years and special editions. I was almost dissuaded by Doug D’s review but the responses by members here restored my interest. I’m retired and my other cars are a 2013 BMW 328i and a 2016 Lincoln MKX. I don’t need a daily driver.

I’ve combed the forum to expand my RetroBird knowledge but would welcome any advice.

Thanks.
Charlie

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I looked for several years and ultimately bought a 2005 silver Anniversary Edition with all options and 44k on it for my wife in Jan 2009. She loved it especially with the hardtop on. She has since past and I now drive it in good weather year round as it is fun and still attracts attention. I will keep it until I can no longer drive and then give it to one of our kids or grandkids if they want it as that was my wife's wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's coincidental that you have the 328i. I was considering a 2011 328i convertible with manual transmission (as a weekend car) when I stumbled across my 03 t-bird. Like you I wished that the t-bird was available with manual transmission. However, now that I have it, I don't miss shifting because it is more of a muscle car than a sports car. My last weekend car was a mazdaspeed miata. That was an unbelievable sports car but no room for golf clubs or much else and a very stiff ride. The t-bird has a large trunk and a comfortable ride. Ultimately, I chose the t-bird because it will not lose value and may even appreciate. When you go for a test drive, keep in mind that this car is designed for 93 octane and the guy at the dealership may not realize this. This car can lay down some rubber without any mods. And maybe, because it shares a power train with Jaguar, we will identify a manual trans that mates up with it. Stay in touch.

Greetings. I live in Medford, NJ and have been lurking here for awhile to get a feel for the community and, more importantly, the pros and cons of the RetroBird. I still remember the first one I saw at the Philadelphia Auto Show In 2001. The car stole the show. I didn’t purchase one and waited hoping a manual transmission would be introduced. That was not to be.

I’m now in the market for a 2003-05. I’m still trying to get a feel for the market and the subtle difference in the years and special editions. I was almost dissuaded by Doug D’s review but the responses by members here restored my interest. I’m retired and my other cars are a 2013 BMW 328i and a 2016 Lincoln MKX. I don’t need a daily driver.

I’ve combed the forum to expand my RetroBird knowledge but would welcome any advice.

Thanks.
Charlie
I owned a 2002 and now own a 50th Anniversary sport. Just so you know the sport does not have the hard top as part of it's package. I still love it but that is a difference. Once this goes I am finding another one. I love my T Bird

Thanks.
Charlie
Charlie I am the new owner of an 03 Bird. Since the 1960's I have always had a classic car or two around to enjoy. Most were Chevys, Mustangs, Vettes, and various Muscle type cars but about a month back I bought a 2003 Bird. I have read many of the listings here on the forum since and believe me that this is the place to look if you want to know about these cars. Only remark I would make is that unless you are an experienced car enthusiast this forum could scare you away from the 02-05 Tbird but its that way with most any car in this age group.

If you are looking for a trouble free car its not out there but so far with about 500 miles on my 03 I am a very happy and impressed with Ford owner. In this little car Ford seems to have combined Pep and Comfort better than any classic I have ever owned. And too a big plus for me at my age is the ease of getting in and out of this car. With that being said I have ordered new rear shocks and may put some new tires on my car to quiet the road noise. Over the years I have found that all tires are not equal in the ride and noise area and I am a stickler for a smooth quiet ride so I may very well also put my choice of tire on the Bird. I know there will be routine repairs needed at some point in time but will handle them as needed as they occur. Good Luck in your search and if you buy a Bird I hope you will enjoy it as much as I am enjoying this one.

Rick in Carolina

Hi. I’m a new retro-bird owner myself and can tell you that I am already impressed with my Blackbird. Sure, I am spending some money on it, but every time I get into it I get happy. I’ve owned all kinds of European sports cars ( Mercedes SL’s 240, 450, 380, 560, and 550) Italian cars (Fiat 1500, Bertone Spyder) British cars ( Triumph Tr-4, Tr-6 and Stag, Jaguar XK-E, MG’s and Austin Healy’s). I have never had a car that so many people come over to to inspect and compliment!

I’m in the process of having my car repainted, have some chrome trim put on it and I’ve already had a NAV system with a Bluetooth phone plus the backup camera. I’m committed to this car. As I said, it makes me smile every time I get into it.

I second those emotions! My story is very similar so I won't bore you with all the details. Just some! It took me about two years to find my 2004 Merlot. I also scoured this forum for information before buying. Some thoughts to share: I sought out the sand interior, a lighter color is cooler for mid-day cruising; heated seats lengthen the top down driving season; the hardtop for the winter; by 2004 you have the built-in Homelink transmitter for garage door and the upgraded engine with VVT and a bit more horsepower - not that you really need any more. Mine's a daily driver - and it makes me happy every day. Go for it!

(Did JohnS say it had a "large trunk"? Well yes, if you take out the spare tire and leave it behind in your garage, the trunk is actually surprisingly large. With the spare tire . . . hmmm, not so much.) :D

I have a 2005 Golden Anniversary Edition, Gold with a tan top for sale. Also have a black hardtop. Mileage is close to 25k.
Car is located in Kingsland, GA.
Side note: Golf clubs will fit in trunk if you take the woods out of the bag and lay them inside.

My classic car search was in other areas not having thought about a bird. Accidentally spotted this 04' bird on a used auto lot in East TN. near a large retirement community.
I could not be happier with my find. Be patient your T-Bird is waiting for you, enjoy the search....you know what your looking for.

I have owned my 03 Blackbird for about a year or so now. Having owned other older sports cars they all had there problems, its part of it. I drive mine everyday had the plastic thermostat housing replaced and plastic T upper radiator hose replaced did lower hose as well while in there. But that is all I have done. We enjoy it every time we go for a drive top on or top off. Hope you enjoy yours as much.

I owned a 2002 and now own a 50th Anniversary sport. Just so you know the sport does not have the hard top as part of it's package. I still love it but that is a difference. Once this goes I am finding another one. I love my T Bird

Hardtops became an option the last couple of MY. Any hardtop from and year will fit on all 68000+ retros built.

Best car I've ever owned. (Of 95 --last Vette I sold 'cause I needed a crane to get in and out!)

Thanks.
Charlie
Hello

Thanks.
Charlie

Hello Charlie, I bought a red 2003 for my 65th
Birthday present to myself. Have driven all over North America n the past 3 years and loved every minute. Now going on to different
Things and would love to rehome her. Hard and soft top. New tires, hard top holder, etc.
Around 150,000 miles. Have it n storage unit so can get exact miles if interested. Asking 7900 obo. Unfortunately I am n Austin Tx.
Let me know if this is something u might consider. Truly love this car ❤️

Bunny, thanks for your response. As my search has continued I’ve unscientifically determined the most Tbirds reside in Florida, Texas and California. Yours is one more datapoint! I just had a 2005 Cashmere in PA slip through my fingers somehow and now I find my myself focusing on them. That said, if yours is cosmetically and mechanically in good shape and you want to make one final road trip to the Philadelphia area I’d give it serious consideration.

Just saw a one owner white 2002 premium (red accent interior) with hard top and about 68k on the clock a couple days ago.. They are asking $13,999.. That’s what was on the window.. It was at Heritage Lincoln in Syracuse NY.. I looked at it quickly and it was clean.. I did not pop the hood.. I was going back to work from lunch.. Just a heads up.. BTW a very good dealership, bought a couple vehicles there and their service depot is great..

Thanks.
Charlie
If interested I’m in Rhode Island and have a 03 premium whisper white Tbird with the hard top and stand from factory, I have done a lot to my bird and has been to many car shows and has won trophy’s and plaques for top in class and other categories. To start with it has the k&n typhoon cold air intake then high flow MagnaFlow flow cats then it’s straightedges piped into a MagnaFlow xpipe then goes directly into the Borla exhaust and it has a SCT tuner with has been custom tuned and dyno tested and adjusted for the upgrades I have saved all original parts as well and on the inside I have upgraded the sterio system with a nice head unit with apple car play and integrated so can make phone calls as well plus had a rear view camera installed and it has a dash cam installed which I’m letting go with the car plus all interior lights have all been upgraded with led lights as well to match the exterior the car is in excellent condition inside and out and I had the vin number ran to see how many were made just like it and found there were only 534 made just like it my profile on here has some pictures of the car and would be more than happy to send more pics via text or email if you like I was asking 32,000 but after Hagerty insurance came out and appraised it they lowered the value to 27,500 so I’m asking 25,500 Obo reasonable offer and it has brand new nice tires just put on it the car sounds great and looks great always get looks and people stopping to look at it and talk whenever I take it out after the upgrades and the sct tuner and dyno tuning it is putting 250 plus horse power to the ground. The car is detailed weekly and would not be worried to drive it any distance or across country trip I have all service records from the day it was built and it has been serviced every 3,000 miles with k&n oil filter and Amsoil signature series oil which to me in my opinion is the best oil out there and all windows have been tinted it is a good looking car. If you have any more question or interest in it let me know my number is feel free to text me this car has nothing to hide and only selling to make room for another car that I am looking at if not for not having space to keep it and add another car I would not be selling it

Last edited by a moderator:
they lowered the value to 27,500 so I’m asking 25,500 Obo reasonable offer and it has brand new nice tires just put on it the car sounds great and looks great always get looks and people stopping to look at it and talk whenever I take it out after the upgrades and the sct tuner and dyno tuning it is putting 250 plus horse power to the ground. The car is detailed weekly and would not be worried to drive it any distance or across country trip I have all service records from the day it was built and it has been serviced every 3,000 miles with k&n oil filter and Amsoil signature series oil which to me in my opinion is the best oil out there and all windows have been tinted it is a good looking car. If you have any more question or interest in it let me know my number is feel free to text me this car has nothing to hide and only selling to make room for another car that I am looking at if not for not having space to keep it and add another car I would not be selling it
Please explain why you think your car is worth double private party value on Kelly Blue Book?
value.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks.
Charlie
Hi Charlie,
we have our 2002 Tbird yellow for the past 9 years and put about 25k miles on it;just drove 1300 miles on a around CA trip! Super comfortable, handles well and we get lots of compliments; had to replace coils once and front bushings, that's all; besides regular services;now has 74k miles on it. Best to ride top down:)

Thanks.
Charlie
Hi,
I have a 2005 Cashmere with 45000 miles I'm looking to sell. It's number 490 out of 1500. I;

Thanks.
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I have a 2005 Thunderbird for sale, I'm the 2nd owner I purchased it in 2007 with 24,000 miles on it, now it has 45,000miles on it. It's the 50 Anniversary Thunderbird features Cashmere tri-coat metallic paint with matching removable top and Medium Light Stone cloth convertible top and soft boot. Always garaged, new tires and just replaced the 8 ignition coils and spark plugs, car looks and runs great.
Let me know if your interested and I'll follow up with pictures.
Best Regards, Bill
PS I live In Long Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back