New engine recommendations for 61

61Bulletbird

61Bulletbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,
I have a 61 that was a barn find for me. I fell in love with the car and bought it. Knowing that the engine was locked-up/not running. My question is...what is a good replacement, little more modern engine for this car?
I'm not giving up on the original engine just yet, but I want to see what my options are at this point.
Thank you. Rob

I would spend some time0 to determine if the original engine can be saved,
Or rebuilt. Refreshened.

When I bought my 64 tbird in 2006 my engine was seized up. I had a stroke but decided working on my car would help me. I took pictures of everything as I disassembled the engine. It took me 3 days to free up the engine. Number 8 cylinder was frozen. I sent out and requested my original engine be bored out at 30 over and returned to me. It cost me $1600 but was well worth it. I love how it runs and it has a lot of power to it. Cost a lot less than a crate engine at that time.

Welcome to the forum. When you post, choose a relevant subject so you will get more responses. I edited it for you.

Tom Phipps at FE Specialties in Auburn, CA only works on Ford engines. I had him rebuild my 390 and cannot recommend him highly enough.
Rich

Back