New Chassis For 55 TBird

M

MN Tom

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Was down a Barrett Jackson and witnessed restomods selling for more that originals. Seems more buyers are looking for better suspension and power plants than what was originally introduced.

As indicated my car is a basket case which I had planned on restoring.

Has anyone replaced their chassis ? If so where did you purchase it and where you happy with the result?

Thank you for any comment or consideration

Tom

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I once saw a Hot Rod magazine where they used a chassis from Fatman Fabrications in AZ. I don't know good or bad about them but if I had a lot of money I'd probably buy the whole shebang from them and them just land my body on their chassis / drivetrain. Just as a side note.... Someone doing a concourse correct restoration will probably pay more to build their car than someone doing a modified car.

I once saw a Hot Rod magazine where they used a chassis from Fatman Fabrications in AZ. I don't know good or bad about them but if I had a lot of money I'd probably buy the whole shebang from them and them just land my body on their chassis / drivetrain. Just as a side note.... Someone doing a concourse correct restoration will probably pay more to build their car than someone doing a modified car.
Thanks Steven. Any idea when the HR magazine referenced was published?

Was down a Barrett Jackson and witnessed restomods selling for more that originals. Seems more buyers are looking for better suspension and power plants than what was originally introduced.

Has anyone replaced their chassis ? If so where did you purchase it and where you happy with the result?

Tom
Hi,
I have seen used chassis for sale in Hemmings there are a number of people who sell used parts. Also, I would give Hills a call, I would not be surprised if they could find one for you. I suspect that once you get the body off of your chassis, a skilled body shop (or you if you can weld) could restore it for less than buying a fabricated chassis and when you were done, the car would be "stock".

Good Luck

Thanks. When the cold and snow disappear here in MN I will be pulling the body. I have always believed in stock and original until I got a wake up call last week at Barrett Jackson.

Thanks. When the cold and snow disappear here in MN I will be pulling the body. I have always believed in stock and original until I got a wake up call last week at Barrett Jackson.

That is the fun part of this hobby, you can tailor your car to be whatever you want.

Good Luck

Tom
There was also a 1955 Thunderbird done at "second chance garage" They cut the original frame and mounted on a Mustang II assembly / front end. Then they were able to easily drop in a 302. If you want modern handling and performance I would think The Fatman Chassis or a Mustang conversion with modded read end to allow three link or four link suspension is a must. Personally I would spring for the Fatman chassis if I had the money.

Upon doing a little research / reflection. Fatman Fabrications is located in North Carolina. The article from hot Rod was actually on the Hot Rod network online. It was in April of 2015.

Upon doing a little research / reflection. Fatman Fabrications is located in North Carolina. The article from hot Rod was actually on the Hot Rod network online. It was in April of 2015.
Thank you Steven. Will look for it on the site.

FYI. I Have a '56 frame that I'm currently planning to put my '55 body on. The '56 frame is made a little beefier (stronger) because of the continental kits that were hanging off the back. There are a few other differences in the '56 frame vs the '55 frame. I am not concerned about trying to make it handle like a modern day car which is why I am going to use the '56 frame.

I don't believe there is a market for custom chassis for the 55-57 Thunderbird, or at least not yet. You could save yourself a lot of time and money and buy a restomod Thunderbird..........like mine, which just happens to be FOR SALE, $66K. Full hot rod suspension, 4 link rear, coil overs, Heidt front suspension. 302GT40 5spd. The ad was on this forum not too long ago.20170512_113157 (1) (1).jpg

I don't believe there is a market for custom chassis for the 55-57 Thunderbird, or at least not yet. You could save yourself a lot of time and money and buy a restomod Thunderbird..........like mine, which just happens to be FOR SALE, $66K. Full hot rod suspension, 4 link rear, coil overs, Heidt front suspension. 302GT40 5spd. The ad was on this forum not too long ago.View attachment 3137
Fatman Fabrications in North Carolina sells them all set up for around $15K. You tell them what drivetrain you want to install and they will setup the mounts to match your requirements. If you want it with a drivetrain already installed they will do that too, for around $20K.

I just went and looked at the Fatman Fabrications website. The prices have gone up a little from a few years ago. The standard Chassis for the 55-57 Thunderbird is just under $17K. Then you can get upgrades even up to including a drivetrain (Crate engine and trans of your choice) installed.

My 55 frame is in excellent shape, but I would like to upgrade the suspension. Any leads on who offers those parts. I see macs, hills and the others carry stock parts, and maybe those are fine.

From what I've seen there really isn't a suspension upgrade without making modifications requiring cutting and welding. If you are a purist you are kind of left with just the stuff you have seen. I think Kanter sells (kits) stock fitting parts but upgraded to Poly bushings and heavier duty sway bars.

From what I've seen there really isn't a suspension upgrade without making modifications requiring cutting and welding. If you are a purist you are kind of left with just the stuff you have seen. I think Kanter sells (kits) stock fitting parts but upgraded to Poly bushings and heavier duty sway bars.
Thanks, I'll check them out

restomod = lots of money X many hours to make it work. if done right it will be better if not you may have unending problems. those guys on TV make it look simple, they know what they are doing.

restomod = lots of money X many hours to make it work. if done right it will be better if not you may have unending problems. those guys on TV make it look simple, they know what they are doing.
Thanks Plan on doing it right!

Back