Need to replace 1964 1965 1966 shifter detent plate and cover

Rom324

Rom324

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone seen a good how to on replacing a detent plate and shifter lever cover on a 65 bird?

Moderator Note purchase links for 1964-1965-1966:
Purchase the Shift Select Cover here:

Purchase Detent Plate here:

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have figured out how to do this but I can’t get the bearing off the steering column. That needs to come out before the initial hub can come off

Did you go at it by lowering the steering column in the engine bay or from the top side inside the car? I took off the steering wheel but can't get past the turn signal cancel device.

I use Pat Wilson Thunderbird, but ask for Doug. Now the only other suggestion is to ask Doug about the bushing replacement that is inside the engine compartment that keeps the selector and steering column aligned. They need to be replaced together or the dentent plate will wear out again.

F781A474-19C7-43CF-AE50-9D0D0F7E5328.jpeg ACAB0213-0A8A-4F84-95F8-202567E59376.jpeg 29FD2F81-6E36-46AA-AB81-939920464657.jpeg
I use Pat Wilson Thunderbird, but ask for Doug. Now the only other suggestion is to ask Doug about the bushing replacement that is inside the engine compartment that keeps the selector and steering column aligned. They need to be replaced together or the dentent plate will wear out again.

I got the shift selector cover and the detent plate off. Had to pull the bearing from the steering shaft and it was a bear to get out. The reason it is so difficult is that it is splined on the column shaft. I had to pry it out from behind with small bent prybars. Don’t take the nuts all the way off on the hub that holds the shift lever cover onto it. They will fall down the column shaft. Best to loosen them and stick a screwdriver to the side and press in and this will release the square headed bolts holding on to the inner metal column. With the bearing out the cover will come off and you can replace the shift lever indicator. While I had it out i replaced the dent plate as well.

One last thought, to get the bearing off the shaft you can use a rubber hammer and after removing the rubber bearing ring by prying it out with a screwdriver there will be play in the bearing and the shaft. With a rubber hammer pound on the shaft and it will force the bearing up. Works for me. Nothing else works from prying behind the bearing.

Back