Need help selecting exhaust for a 1969 T-bird

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey all, I am going to be out looking for new exhaust for my 69 t-bird, and I would like some help or suggestions. I want to replace the manifolds with headers, but what would anyone suggest? I was myself looking at shorty headers (I don’t really want long tube ones). The current exhaust is now true dual as the previous owner did it this way. Was it true dual from the factory? Also should I keep it like this or go back to how it was from the factory?

Any suggestions on exhaust type and diameter? I was thinking maybe two and three quarters maybe three inch? What does anyone think?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello I have a Thunderbird 1968 and i'm restoring unloading these days, the exaust mainfold is stainless steel, the tube is 63.5 mm all, silencers is flowmaster, watch this Photo Hello

Hello I have a Thunderbird 1968 and i'm restoring unloading these days, the exaust mainfold is stainless steel, the tube is 63.5 mm all, silencers is flowmaster, watch this Photo Hello
What? I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you are saying

my machine a Ford Thunderbird 1968 I mounted collectors steel exhaust pipes new 2.5-inch and silencers flowmaster

Original Exhaust is dual. H-Pipe into 2 mufflers with 2 resonators at rear- all 2" pipes. I dont recommend headers due to heat issues and clearance. If you are after a bit of bark they sound decent with 2.25" pipes and 2 flowmasters with a crossover h-pipe at front.

Do you have an email? I send you pictures of my car and the exhaust that I'm restoring

I have taken my exhaust manifolds and had them sand blasted and then had them Porclean coated inside and out. The porclean draws the heat out of the engine and into the exhaust pipes. I would go to a well known exhaust dealer and have the bend up a custom set of pipes. Definitly have a cross over pipe installed. When you have them make the system tell them you want 2 1/2" Aluminumized pipes with mandrel bends. I have had an exhaust system on one of my cars for over forty years and it is still in good shape. Now depending how loud you want the exhaust to be is were the mufflers come in. I would personally have them install Corvair Turbo Mufflers they have a mellow sound and very little restriction. Good Luck Rick

The manifolds are not able to be repaired. One side the stud cracked off or they over tightened it and broke the flange. Also I think the manifold on the passenger side is cracked and leaking. I doubt to can get replacements for thes motors anymore. I looked and no one has them.

Also those have the casting of D5VE, Will they even fit on my heads? I believe the casting numbers for my heads are DOAE. Will they fit on those?

If you don't have very weird heads on your car they definitely fit and give best result.

lol well they are not BOSS 429 heads that’s for sure! Nothing out of the ordinary I’d say. We’ll see when they arrive

Here they are fresh with some new studs and A new set of gaskets and heat shield I picked up off RockAuto. Going to be putting them on soon.
IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0146.JPG IMG_0147.JPG

Back