Need help finding a (discontinued) Spare Tire for a 2002.

G

Georgia Skydiver

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently took my car in for a new set of tires, and then discovered that the spare they put back into my trunk was shredded!! (Despite the fact that it was in perfectly good condition and had less than 10 miles on it when I drove the car in to them).

The tire place has accepted responsibility, but tells me that they cannot find another spare tire for my 2002 T-Bird. Manufacturers are not required to make them after ~10 years, and this tire was specifically manufactured for this make and model of vehicle 16 years ago. The tire place has an inquiry out to one of our local Ford dealership's parts department, but I'm not optimistic - that particular dealership has done more harm to my vehicle than good ( = they are IDIOTS!).

Putting another full-size tire in the spare compartment is not an option because Ford engineers didn't think that whole trunk space thing through when they designed the car. When I had the flat which led to this whole debacle, the usual tire not only didn't fit in the trunk at all, but wouldn't even fit in the passenger compartment, even with the top down. And I can't exactly drive around with a spare tire there on a daily basis anyway!

Can anybody please, please, please help me figure out where I can send the tire place to find a replacement for the spare tire that they destroyed?? I'm at a loss, and given the multitude of problems I've had with my sweet baby girl, I'm not willing to drive her without the certainty of at least a spare tire!

Thank you in advance for your help!!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I recently took my car in for a new set of tires, and then discovered that the spare they put back into my trunk was shredded!! (Despite the fact that it was in perfectly good condition and had less than 10 miles on it when I drove the car in to them).

The tire place has accepted responsibility, but tells me that they cannot find another spare tire for my 2002 T-Bird. Manufacturers are not required to make them after ~10 years, and this tire was specifically manufactured for this make and model of vehicle 16 years ago. The tire place has an inquiry out to one of our local Ford dealership's parts department, but I'm not optimistic - that particular dealership has done more harm to my vehicle than good ( = they are IDIOTS!).

Putting another full-size tire in the spare compartment is not an option because Ford engineers didn't think that whole trunk space thing through when they designed the car. When I had the flat which led to this whole debacle, the usual tire not only didn't fit in the trunk at all, but wouldn't even fit in the passenger compartment, even with the top down. And I can't exactly drive around with a spare tire there on a daily basis anyway!

Can anybody please, please, please help me figure out where I can send the tire place to find a replacement for the spare tire that they destroyed?? I'm at a loss, and given the multitude of problems I've had with my sweet baby girl, I'm not willing to drive her without the certainty of at least a spare tire!

Maxxis International.
T185/60R17 102M M9500N
Part #: TP10355800
$159 plus shipping.
I ordered and works fine.
www.maxxis.com

Call this lady at Maxxis Canada, she'll take care of you. Jessie 905-789-0882 ext 214.

You're welcome, Georgia.

I have forwarded this information to the tire place. Thank you again.

I called her three times this week. No reply.

[QUTheir site does not list this tire. Do they have it?

I got mine at Tire Barn... they ordered it for me, mounted, and balanced for the same price as just buying the tire. Certain years of the Mustang use this same tire.

Sorry, John. I ordered mine late November, 2017 and got it first week December. They must be out of stock now. I sent them an email requesting information and when it will be back in stock. I will post a response here when I hear back.
In addition, they charged me $15 to ship. Total, $174 for the spare, for my 2002 retro. It fits perfect in the trunk.

When I purchased my tire from Maxxis, I was told that when the tire is out of stock, they remove it from their website. When they manufacture more they will list it again. But then they said IF they manufacture more they will list it. They make them in China. This is what I was told when I called and asked a year ago.

Sorry, John. I ordered mine late November, 2017 and got it first week December. They must be out of stock now. I sent them an email requesting information and when it will be back in stock. I will post a response here when I hear back.
In addition, they charged me $15 to ship. Total, $174 for the spare, for my 2002 retro. It fits perfect in the trunk.

This is the reply I got today, May 14, 2018.

We are currently out of stock on the TP10355800. We should have more available in two weeks.

Firestone no longer makes it but Maxxis does. It is still on their website and available today.
https://shop.maxxis.com/c/compact-s...a6cb9d3f0572cf1a27d4&ckey=12015.1071150.0.0.0

I just got a replacement from Maxxis with a 2018 date code about a month ago.

Back