Need advice on 57 speedometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
D
Last seen
My speedometet in noisy and is jumping between MPH indicators. I haven't driven the car for a while and it's been sitting in the cold garage. I hate to remove it cause it's a bear to get behind the instrument panel with the seat in place.

Is there something I can spray inside the unit like WD40 and will that work?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

A friend of mine suggested: "an answer though is to use white lithium grease to grease the cable, not WD40"

Additional info, FYI:
George,
Just talked to spouse and he said that he could also use graphite. They have graphite that is labeled for use on speedometer cables. He also said the cable must be pulled out to apply. No quick fix.

I agree, I had the same issue with my 65 Mustang, I had to uncouple the back of the cable using speedometer graphite. do it once the right way.

My speedometet in noisy and is jumping between MPH indicators. I haven't driven the car for a while and it's been sitting in the cold garage. I hate to remove it cause it's a bear to get behind the instrument panel with the seat in place.

Is there something I can spray inside the unit like WD40 and will that work?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi,

You might get lucky with lubricating the cable, which requires you to unscrew the cable from the back of the speedometer as mentioned above. There use to be a liquid graphite for speedometer cables, that I have not been able to find anymore. New cars don't have speedometer cables. I used liquid graphite for locks the last time I lubricated the cable. Hope that works for you because removing the speedometer is a real pain.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back