misfires but no code

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dchamb

Last seen
my '02 misfires occasionally and produces associated odor. sometimes during normal acceleration, sometimes under load. other times it will give me a normal ride. completely unpredictable. it does not show "check engine" lite or set a code. you can hold brake and rev engine in "drive" and it will skip audiably (with magna-flo mufflers). over the yr.s i have changed several cop's as well as the 02 sensor. those times a code was set. any ideas? fuel pressure is normal.

MODERATOR EDIT
2017- Very good chance you need to replace your engine coils! Check out this thread to get an entire set for under 40 bucks!

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Dave: If the smell is like rotten eggs, that may be the catalytic converter. Other than that, I just don't know:confused:

it's more like an overheating odor. that only occurs rarely. it usually skips with no odor. i also wondered about the catalytic converter, and mentioned it to the mechanic. he says the odor actually shows the converter is working by burning the unused fuel dumped in it by the misfire. he also insists that would produce a code in the 02 sensor if it were burned out. i don't know. he has worked on several of these cars as well as linoln ls's. but it's darn sure something. he says he will research on line. i hope he comes up with it.
when i had a skip from a bad cop, he swapped the cop to another to see if the code showed the changed cylinders, it did. i was impressed with that idea.

Engine Miss

I have that same problem, an engine miss "sometimes" no fault code or lights. It will miss or skip when you start to accelerate some times.

I have installed new spark plugs and checked all the coils. Fuel Press. is 50psi. used 91 Octane and can of Lucas injector cleaner.

Saturday had taken a 200 mile round trip at 80 MPH and only got 20MPG.
Engine ran great all the way till we got back in the city with stop and go then it would sometimes skip on acceleration.

any suggestion on what the problem could be is appreciated.

we have exactly the same things going on. flash, if you have a local lincoln dealer see if he has any suggestions and let me know please. ours closed down. my mileage is also off.

That is a great suggestion, since they are more knowledgeable of our drive trains, because our drive trains are the same as Lincoln LS. And, there are a lot more of them on the road, with the same issues as the TBIrds have.
Posted mostly for new members and those who may not know this.:cool:

I filled the tank up with Chrevron 91 octane and put in a 20oz bottle techron.

so far after 80 miles engine runs great.

I had been using a no name gasoline from Alertson's super martket or sam's club.
But as bad as the government is forcing the oil companies to make gasoline with that ethonal crap in it I will use only name brand gas now.
================================================
and wait till the Government changes all gasoline to E85.

The EPA needs to hear from you on E15
Submit comments before the deadline, Jan. 28!
Submit Comments!
You have less than two weeks to tell the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that you support its proposal to reduce the total amount of ethanol required in transportation fuel nationwide in 2014.
The AMA supports this proposal because it could slow the introduction of E15, a gasoline formulation that contains as much as 15 percent ethanol by volume, into the marketplace. The AMA opposes E15 because it can cause engine and fuel system damage to your motorcycle or ATV, and can void manufacturer’s warranties.
You play an important role in convincing the EPA to change the 2014 ethanol mandate under the Renewable Fuel Standard.
As of Jan. 17, the EPA has heard from more than 4,000 motorcyclists! But the EPA needs to hear from more of you to counter the pro-ethanol groups that want E15 to be sold throughout the country.
During this public comment period, you can tell the agency how this proposal will help protect 22 million motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles in America -- and the riders who depend on their safe operation -- from inadvertent misfueling.
Don’t forget, the deadline for comments is Jan. 28! Act today to ensure your voice is heard.
For the latest information on the American Motorcyclist Association’s efforts to protect your access to safe fuels, go to http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...to_the_U_S_marketplace_may_stall_in_2014.aspx.

i was told the following today by at lincoln dealership: "the job of detecting engine problems and setting codes falls on the "pcm, or powertrain control module" (what we call the computer). he said if an engine miss-fires and no code is set, the pcm is obviously either not working at all, or only intermitantly. since the pcm tells the engine what to do, when not working properly, it can and will tell it wrong, and cause a miss-fire. he said sporatic good and bad performance and mileage is evidence of this. i plan to price the pcm tomorrow.

I also use SOLTRON and sometime Startron, both are enzyme fighters for the 10% ethanol fuel. Especially since etahol attracts moisture
A Must in small engines and certainly boats since this fuel eats at the plastic gas tanks and rubber seals there.
By the way, if you look at a small engine, vented, gas cap and see white residue on or around the hole in the cap, that's oxidation from moisture going in. If it p[lugs up completely the small engine will start and die. So clean it off with a tooth pick and be proactive
I use it in my rider mower, snow blower, golf cart, Truck, TBird and everyday cars.

as usual you're right about the ethanol and moisture. i have a '58 harley 165 (which has a 2 cycle engine) that i restored a couple of yr.s ago. i pay .50 cents a gallon extra for non-ethanol gas. i wouldn't dare put ethanol in it. i use sea foam additive in my car and pickup.
i haven't done the pcm change yet and don't know if i will. it is 1400 installed with no guarantees it will help. i have never put anything in my car but mid-grade shell, and have always used an additive for the moisture inhibitor. one thing about any car that sits long periods of time is the moisture is present doing its thing. all cars should be driven at least once a week up to operating temp. long enough to evaporate what is there.

Coils

Dave: If the smell is like rotten eggs, that may be the catalytic converter. Other than that, I just don't know:confused:

Coils seem to be a big problem in this car I had the same problem. I finally found out it was the coils from ford. I changed the one they said was the problem, but only to find out you must change all coils and spark plugs at the same time because after that they all started going out every 20 miles. So I ordered the coils online and changed them all now my 2002 is running great.

misfire with no light

The dealer is able to check for ignition misfires with no light on by using an ids and going into mode 6 data. This records the the monitors for any concerns that may have happened. Any tech that works for Ford and does a lot of drivability diag should know to check that.

computer will not show single or double coil failure

As I found out myself some time back the computer on the car does not show a single or double coil failure, I ended up ordering the cheaper parts off ebay from a company in Florida (a set was $65), when I opened up to change found the gasket seals had leaked oil onto the plugs themselves (its a common problem with these vehicles) the gaskets must be changed. So basically pull out every plug and check to see if they are okay, once this was fixed with new plugs and coils its run fine ever since. Unfortunately this was an inherited problem from the previous owner.

I would literally pull every plug out and check first. Another tell tale sign is a sound from the tail pipe when she misses you get a puff puff sound as she has a gap in the exhaust emissions. If you get a burning or smell of something getting hot could be oil burning.

my '02 misfires occasionally and produces associated odor. sometimes during normal acceleration, sometimes under load. other times it will give me a normal ride. completely unpredictable. it does not show "check engine" lite or set a code. you can hold brake and rev engine in "drive" and it will skip audiably (with magna-flo mufflers). over the yr.s i have changed several cop's as well as the 02 sensor. those times a code was set. any ideas? fuel pressure is normal.
I was having the same problem. I read that it was the coils so I bought a set of 8 and worked on installing them. When I took the cover over the coils off on the driver's side, I found a lot of oil in the plug well for the forward plug, so I removed the coil and cleaned out the oil, then installed the new coil. While working on the other 3 coils, I also found lesser amounts of oil in eacj h of the plug wells. After I cleaned out the oil and installed the new coils, the misfire no loner occurred.

I was having the same problem. I read that it was the coils so I bought a set of 8 and worked on installing them. When I took the cover over the coils off on the driver's side, I found a lot of oil in the plug well for the forward plug, so I removed the coil and cleaned out the oil, then installed the new coil. While working on the other 3 coils, I also found lesser amounts of oil in eacj h of the plug wells. After I cleaned out the oil and installed the new coils, the misfire no loner occurred.

You will have to do more than just change the coils for that, the oil is leaking into the plug wells due to faulty gaskets, had the same happen to mine, you need to have the valve covers removed and the gaskets replaced otherwise you will just keep leaking oil, killing the coils/spark plugs and having that burnt oil smell. I did mine took ages but is possible if you know cars, if not then find someone reputable to do it for you.

I got a new complete set of coils off ebay from a company in florida, cost a total of $65 for all eight and two years later still running good.

Coils

Coils seem to be a big problem in this car I had the same problem. I finally found out it was the coils from ford. I changed the one they said was the problem, but only to find out you must change all coils and spark plugs at the same time because after that they all started going out every 20 miles. So I ordered the coils online and changed them all now my 2002 is running great.
How easy is irt top change the coils and spark plugs?

How easy is irt top change the coils and spark plugs?
Its very easy, just remove the covers on either side of the engine, unclip the wires going to the top of the coil (be careful not to break them as the harness is expensive to replace) just pull up on the coil so it pops off the spark plug, then using a spark plug removal socket or tool unscrew the plug. Replacement is the exact reverse, if you find oil in the hole where the plug comes out from then the gasket is leaking and needs replacing.

What is the best plug [brand/type?] to get as a replacement? Which gasket would be leaking?

What is the best plug [brand/type?] to get as a replacement? Which gasket would be leaking?
If you have an oil leak inside where the spark plug is leaking you have to buy and replace the complete valve cover set, its a complete set for the valve covers and all the relevant openings with that which is the spark plug areas. You will also need to replace all the coils and plugs at the same time otherwise you will get more failings.

As for the coils its up to you which brand, to be honest it doesn't always matter (which I know some people will argue) but I got mine from a supplier on ebay called Herko (there seller page is e-herko) (in florida), cost me around $65 for a complete set and two years later still running fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back