Lost power steering and radiator overheated -1965

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Greetings friends - 65 model year... after routine drive returned to car, started up - no steering and then radiator overheated immediately. Could this be water pump failing, creating the radiator to spew and then causing belt to slip? Engine was not terribly hot when re started and hopeful it's water pump that failed. I'm looking at 2 month wait to get my mechanic to look at hot.

Are you sure all the belts are on?

If the power steering failed at the same time as the overheating, I would suspect neither. If the pump froze or the water pump froze you would hear a belt scream. Both unlikely. I would do a simple tension test on the belt and see if one of the adjustment bolts came loose.

sounds like the thermastate failed

I agree with the belts theory. Check the belts for age and excess wear. It really sounds as if one jumped off and knocked the other off. No power steer and quick overheat equals water pump and PS pump not turning.
Good luck
Ed

Back