Looking To Purchase My Very Own 02-05 T-Bird, Any Thoughts/Advice?

Tuckers Baby

Tuckers Baby

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi. I found you guys when doing research into the 11th gen Thunderbird and over the last month or so I’ve been finally actualizing my teenage dream car ever since I became enamored by a blue 1960 Squarebird on someone’s lot almost 8 years ago. Now being a recent college graduate with a full time job I can afford the debt of taking on an auto loan and while it’s no ‘57 or ‘63, I’ve settled on a triple red 2003 Premium from a private seller.

The car drove great when I tested it out earlier this week and aside from a minute chip here or there in the paint (likely from rocks) the body and interior are in excellent condition. There’s less than 29,000 miles on the OD and the car’s been garage kept as well as never driven in icy/dusty conditions nor on dirt roads. Included is the hardtop rack, convertible cover for driving with the top down, and a cover for the windshield when outside. I’d be the third owner as the first put in the most mileage, and the second barely scratched 1,000 before he put it up for sale. Currently we’re settled on a price after I talked down a couple grand. That and I just checked out an abysmal 2002 Lemon of a car With a blown spare tire, no cover for the battery & spare in the trunk, rust along the edge of the hardtop, multiple scratches along the rear fenders and on the aluminum trim inside, not to mention it’d been definitely repainted in the back and bondo’d on the inside of the trunk compartment. The cherry on top being their price floor of $12,000; bullet dodged.
12104C11-8BDE-4DBF-9E30-2F7084AC8401.jpeg

Anyway, here’s an image plucked from the ad to give a visual on. All that’s left now is to double check with credit unions to see just how much I have to pay up front before I

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You will enjoy it. I have the red one but my interior is all black. I put on about 10k miles a year.

I've had my share of problems. First the FEM, a new clock spring, battery, alternator. I had to find the hardtop as my car did not have one. I replaced the spare as it popped in the trunk. I'm glad that I did as one of the tires picked up a nail.

I do my own detailing and the paint looks like glass all the time.

You will enjoy it. I have the red one but my interior is all black. I put on about 10k miles a year.

I've had my share of problems. First the FEM, a new clock spring, battery, alternator. I had to find the hardtop as my car did not have one. I replaced the spare as it popped in the trunk. I'm glad that I did as one of the tires picked up a nail.

I do my own detailing and the paint looks like glass all the time.
I definitely hope so. Aspirations of the future are to add a couple pieces of chrome trim, being the faux hood scoop accent, some new door sills, and some retro headlight visors (see image) that emulate a little bit more of the classic 50s look; but those I may seek out as a custom job since the only site that offers them is asking $300 when the normal headlight trim is ~$70 on Amazon.652CF5A3-B0EE-4C74-8086-03DA01EA6BC7.jpeg

Good luck with your purchase. Nice looking car. These babies are a lot of fun. Enjoy!

all the body pieces come with a ford sticker matching numbers I've heard

Hi. I found you guys when doing research into the 11th gen Thunderbird and over the last month or so I’ve been finally actualizing my teenage dream car ever since I became enamored by a blue 1960 Squarebird on someone’s lot almost 8 years ago. Now being a recent college graduate with a full time job I can afford the debt of taking on an auto loan and while it’s no ‘57 or ‘63, I’ve settled on a triple red 2003 Premium from a private seller.

The car drove great when I tested it out earlier this week and aside from a minute chip here or there in the paint (likely from rocks) the body and interior are in excellent condition. There’s less than 29,000 miles on the OD and the car’s been garage kept as well as never driven in icy/dusty conditions nor on dirt roads. Included is the hardtop rack, convertible cover for driving with the top down, and a cover for the windshield when outside. I’d be the third owner as the first put in the most mileage, and the second barely scratched 1,000 before he put it up for sale. Currently we’re settled on a price after I talked down a couple grand. That and I just checked out an abysmal 2002 Lemon of a car With a blown spare tire, no cover for the battery & spare in the trunk, rust along the edge of the hardtop, multiple scratches along the rear fenders and on the aluminum trim inside, not to mention it’d been definitely repainted in the back and bondo’d on the inside of the trunk compartment. The cherry on top being their price floor of $12,000; bullet dodged.
View attachment 9909

Anyway, here’s an image plucked from the ad to give a visual on. All that’s left now is to double check with credit unions to see just how much I have to pay up front before I
It appears as though you may have found yourself a winner. I am an original owner of an 03 like yours. I have added a few things along the way but I have always enjoyed my Bird. It looks like you can get it for a very good price it is sound mechanically. Enjoy!

Good luck on your purchase you will love it. Be mindful as with any car 17 years old there will be repair’s and maintenance on your part. When you think about the age of hoses fluids take the time to change. Look at coolant, brake fluid hopefully that has been maintained. A lot of times put up and stored means no maintenance. Finally remember what you pay is only for the car, now the care starts, be prepared to spend another $1,000 on miscellaneous items that are no seen just yet. Any work you can do yourself makes cost if ownership easier on the wallet.
Congratulations, I love my Tbird and you will yours too.

View attachment 9909

My advice: Get an extended warranty. Well worth the price. I bought a 2005 red Tbird 4 years ago, got a warranty and very glad I did.

Replaced 4 coils, fuel tank and throttle body.....find a good Lincoln Mercury dealer and get a warranty. And ENJOY THAT GORGEOUS CAR!

These are great fun cars, The down side is the maintainance. Parts are scarce, costs are high, and unless you are able to do the work yourself, finding a good mechanic is a must. If this is going to be your only car, repairs take time, so be aware to not have a daily ride.

Enjoy your bird!! Looks like a beauty!!
Love my 05 torch red Bird....I am taking mine into my mechanic tomorrow with my 8 coils and plugs in hand to tune up and put some clean Tracy fluid in it My original owner did a lot services from a ford dealer over the years including a $875 AC repair right before i bought it. Going topless is the best!!!

I have an 03 triple black that I love. I drive about 10,000 miles a year,and only problems have been the usual thing on this car. Check out the ball joint boots and any other boot on suspension parts. See if any of the coolant parts have been replaced [ thermostat housing radiator hoses they have plastic y's in them and radiator. These have been my only problems and I have owned my bird close to two years now. Good look great looking car and enjoy.

View attachment 9909

I had the same dream - except mine involved my friend's 1960's blue thunderbird and then the re-issue, my mother was involved in the engineering and design process so I was kept up to date about the reissue years before it was reissued. I actually had my own, new from the lot, tweety yellow one in 2002, also - but lost it in the split up! Yet, now I own my very favorite of all colors, well, of 2 colors, 'whisper white' and it was hell dealing with my dealership purchase.
My car had but about 19,000 on the od and the cost was just over $18,900 - it WAS in mint condition when I purchased it except for some indenting on the brushed metal piece on the interior of the driver's side door (little key marks when driver was opening the door - seen it many times before over the years when shopping for one) and then there was originally an issue with securing the hardtop.
LEARN MY LESSON:
They assured me before I purchased my ww 2002 that this latching issue would be fixed. I should have simply brought it home and paid my local Ford dealer to fix it - but since they assured me that they would fix it at this dealership (Ford) in NW Ohio City, I went with that option since it was charge free. Their version of fixing the roof was to lay the hardtop on the chipped up blacktop all day long while the used car manager attempted to "adjust" the latch with the problem side. Then, he would place the hardtop back on the car, (dirt, dust and debris on the little latches that went into the slots - filthy process since they didn't allow the shop to take 15 minutes to fix it for that would actually be billed against the used dealership part of the Ford lot - and then he had other used dealers come over and they used full body force to press down on the top, to shove it left, then right (back and forth) which then screwed up the working latch on the passenger side. Little did we know that all of this manly, brute force was actually totally compressing and ruining the rubber drainage system on the hardtop roof.

After we discovered the additional damage that was now done to the ORIGINAL and previously functioning drainage system, they only repaired HALF of the damaged drainage system and adjusted the latching system on the hardtop. Had they simply just allowed the shop to adjust the hard top screw in sections, it would have been nothing but 15 minutes of work - but they were penny pinching and ended up causing nearly $3000 in damage to the roof alone.

The dealership insisted on keeping the car, supposedly in the locked in parking section and then in the garage on rainy days (neither of these things happened) while they were "ordering the parts" for repair of drainage system and to replace the now stripped out bolts on BOTH side of the misadjusted hardtop lock down system, they were actually using it as a personal vehicle for the Ford Dealership - driving it an additional 330 miles during the 3 months over the summer that they kept it. I did talk to the outside shop that they sent it to for the repairs and this man had it for just one 18 hour period - working on it during Monday afternoon for 4 hours and 2 hours on Tuesday morning installing the parts that the dealership supplied - which were only for the passenger side and not for the driver side of the drainage system - and after Spyros returned it to the NW Ohio Ford Dealership he parked it in the repair shop lot (which is locked at night) with windows rolled up. This was in September, 2019 and they had the car since I bought it in June, 2019. When I came to pick it up, it was retrieved by the assistant manager of used car sales and the dealer in that same department -but they had to literally UNLOAD boxes of parts that they had driven my car to pick up and they had to empty out this particular dealer's used coffee cups and personal items from it, too. They car was not where Spyros had parked it, in the back lot of the dealership but it was now, windows opened, on Friday at around 1pm, sitting in the used sales lot. Additionally, since the car was not originally from NW Ohio, none of the stations were set on ANY of the FM or AM options except the one station that I listen to (NPR) and it was a devil to program. This salesman used my car as his personal chariot so much that he had programmed every FM station, both A and B FM to his preferences. So I was stuck with 70's-90's mainstream rock blaring and couldn't reprogram my one station (at least not yet as it now is sitting stored for the winter).

They obviously didn't realize that I had reset Trip-meter #1 and when I picked up the car that early Friday afternoon, the car now had 330 miles on it, and a very odd looking rear quarter panel. The car had actually been in an accident while they were out joyriding in it one weekend. I had to pay for a new tail light (cracked), a new rear end (internal "halter" piece that cracked when it was hit) and then I had to pay for the other, driver side, drainage system to be REPLACED after they completely crushed it when trying to rig the driver side hardtop latch.

This to look out for - make sure the roof doesn't LEAK! The hardtop drainage system is terrifically difficult to repair since there are no longer many people that are actually in the workforce that know how to repair these things. I had to use THIS SITE for research and MY Ford dealership in a different city NOT located in NW Ohio. Run it into one of those pressure washers and wash it and make sure that this HARDTOP doesn't leak. If it does leak, I now know how to fix it, what parts are required and have a legitimate Ford Technician that knows how to repair it! Just respond to me directly as a reply to my response to your post. Also, my guy knows how to repair the rear, interior halter piece that hold the rear bumper up and keeps it attached to the side quarter panels (I believe that it also attaches to the side quarter panels) - either way, they claim that it is very fragile and a design flaw and their tech at my local dealership actually knows how to repair it so that it is structurally sound. Finding a technician that can actually work on the re-issued T-Birds can be hard to do and driving to another place to find a competent repairman may be something that you need to do if something eventually fails on your Gorgeous Red new baby.

Again, simply reply if you have any other questions about anything that I might be able to help you with - I'm more than glad to share my experience with you if you run into any problems!

I contacted the State of Ohio oversight agency and we received most of the money back from the repairs, but I was never compensated for the miles piled onto my car

Last edited:
These are great fun cars, The down side is the maintainance. Parts are scarce, costs are high, and unless you are able to do the work yourself, finding a good mechanic is a must. If this is going to be your only car, repairs take time, so be aware to not have a daily ride.
Not sure where you are located, but I have an actual FORD TECHNICIAN that was originally trained on repairs of these beauties when they were first released - still working at my local Ford Dealership and prices are reasonable - also, they use non-Ford/AMP for repairs which is a must with this cars.

When you buy the Tbird if the fluids have not been changed in the last few years, change the anti-freeze, engine oil, transmission oil, rear axle oil and power steering oil.
Best of luck with your new Thunder Bird.

You will love it! I used to have a '55 black t-bird years ago, sold it foolishly, and just last year purchased a 2003 whisper white bird with 49,000 miles on it. I paid $15,000 Canadian, but the car was in mint condition. I recommend have all the rubbers on the suspension checked (i changed all mine), change all the fluids, have the brakes and brake lines checked, check the spare tire (mine was deflated), check all the rubber cooling hoses, before you go for any long drives. drive and enjoy. good purchase.

View attachment 9909

I bought a 2002 with 26K miles that was kept in a storage, it had the boot cover,top, rack, as well as 2 car covers for 16 K, tires were dry on the sides ,so i replaced them, drove it from AR, to Cody WY, on the way back it blew a valve cover gasket, advice , have them checked if it sat for a while without running , also have the fluids changed

I bought a 2002 with 26K miles that was kept in a storage, it had the boot cover,top, rack, as well as 2 car covers for 16 K, tires were dry on the sides ,so i replaced them, drove it from AR, to Cody WY, on the way back it blew a valve cover gasket, advice , have them checked if it sat for a while without running , also have the fluids changed
I got a complete package as well, with the convertible boot, hardtop, windshield cover, and storage rack for about the same (we settled on $15,000).

Good luck with your purchase. I purchased a 2003 TBird with 23.5K miles. During my ownership I required the Valve Body, Solenoid Assembly and Transmission gasket replaced at a cost of $1,673. There is an indicator on the dash that turns to O when this problem exists, unfortunately I was unaware of this issue at the time of purchase. In addition my vehicle had an electrical short which drained the battery and required me to keep it connected to a battery tender.
I obtained the previous owner's repair records and they had issues with the coils and the throttle body. I suggest checking the condition of the belts and hoses as the vehicle is now 17 years old.

I loved the vehicle, but sold it for fear of future parts availability issues. One noted issue (did not experience) is the dashboard lights dimming which requires a rebuild of the complete assembly.

Even though I had a good Ford dealer nearby, I'm on the cautious side and never felt 100% comfortable to put the car on the road for a long journey, but enjoyed it for the two years I owned it.

Again, enjoy and good luck!

Back