looking for 55-57 bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldcarnut38

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
After restoring 55-57 birds as a hobby,enjoying restoring and driving them and selling them--I'm thinking of converting one to an up-dated drive train and custom interior,etc. to make a real slick car. Preferably,I'm looking for a rust free car minus motor-trans.-radio-gauges-etc. I'm open to options. PLEASE-don't cuss me out for not keeping an original. I've heard it all and said the same stuff to myself. George 573-873-5184

George, no one can criticize you for building what YOU want. This seems to me to be a much bigger task than restoring to original. The only suggestion I'd have is to keep a sharp eye out on ebay. Good luck and please keep us posted...

George,

Do they make either fiberglass replacement panels, or enough new stamped metal to take the body parts and retrofit them to a newer car? (Lincoln LS or mustang or something that the body would fit on)

I've always wanted to do something similiar to what you're suggesting. My first car was a 1955 Chevy, and I've always wanted to take one, and rebuild it with entirely new parts so that I could comfortably use it as a daily driver. I always hit some type of roadblock that made it not worthwhile.

You could take all the panels and even interior and retrofit them on a modern car that already has all the mehanical issues worked out (not to mention airbags and other safety issues).

Would 55-57 panels fit on a new T-bird? If they did, you would already have a power convertable top, and a hardtop.

That's why the Tbird was an instant hit with me, it was essentially the dream car I had always wanted to build.

Originally posted by Brad
George,

. . . .

That's why the Tbird was an instant hit with me, it was essentially the dream car I had always wanted to build.

Same here. I have wanted a classic car with today's reliability and technology. There was no doubt in my mind the first time I saw one of the new 'birds.

I have seen Regal or Shay T birds, which are fiberglass reproductions already on newer frames and running gear. As a matter of fact I sold a Shay ('55) to a person who is going to put a bigger engine in it( it came from the factory with a 4 cyclinder engine) The bodies look very much like the originals except for the windshield frame,dashboard and some other minor details, otherwise they are the exact same size as the originals. If you look on the net you can find the bodies. There is a '57 fiberglass one right now on Ebay.

up-date on 55 bird re-build

Well,some will like this-others not,but here is the latest on this project.
I bought a 55 bird from a friend in Des Moines-Tony's Classic T-birds. Average car--lots of work on it already. (We had to re-do most of it. Don't always think Calif cars are the best!!!) Had no top-no motor or trans--no glass--you get the picture. So far we've added a new LS-1 Corvette motor/trans set-up--rack& pinion power steering--2 1/2" dropped spindles with disc brakes-- S-10 rear end with a 4 link--Air Ride air suspension--bucket seats--molded in front and rear bumpers--all body holes filled--door handles,trunk gas filler filled and smothed -55 exhaust holescut out and saved for someone else to use--dash pod sent to Dakota Digital for complete change to digital--all other holes filled and smothed--full council about to get started on--fuel pump installed in new tank--and the process goes on. Many more plans to go yet. Hope to have ready for shows by fall next year,then drive it for a while.Will keep posted if any one interested. By the way--all the parts I am not using go back to Tony for re-sale where needed or used on his re-builds. Thanks Oldcarnut38 e-mail-kuse@lakeozark.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back