Lights out

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Jerry Gallamore

Jerry Gallamore

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
on occasion my lights will go out and won’t Come on. When I turn them on dash lights dim as if their under a load. Appears there may be a short some where. But for no reason they will star working again. One thing that may be associated with this is when I slam trunk lid lights flicker on and off.

Speaking of lights, does anyone know how to change the bulb in the dome light of an 03 - 05 ? My map lights work and so does the Homelink. Most likely the problem is just the bulb but how do I get to it? The manual gives a part number for the bulb but no other instructions. My friendly Ford dealer has no idea what to do either - big surprise!
Thanks, Mark

My wipers would come on every now and then. My windows would not drop. My radio would not turn off even after taking the key out and I had power steering issues. But when my headlights would go off randomly I had to do something. The problem is the FEM (front electronic module.) I had it replaced and have not had an issue since.

Where did you find the FEM? I have a smiliar issue with my dashboard and it's been diagnosed as that module. But, the dealer has been unable to find the part.

Kearny Mesa Ford in San Diego said the part was easy to get. I asked if this was going to be a part that was going to be on backorder for months, only to never show up. They said no they are easy to get. Maybe you could contact them. It's not cheap. It took them two days to get the party in and replace it. It came in a Ford parts box. I have the core, they let me keep that.

Ok. I was hoping someone knew of an online parts site that might have it. My service guy at the local Ford dealer has been very ineffective in tracking down the part. He said he contacted Ford and was told there was at least a 6 month delay in getting it. Do you have that dealers phone number?

I had it wrong. It is Kearney Pearson Ford. Their parts department phone number is 855-346-9801. I can get you my service guys number. I will need to look that up on my paperwork when I get back down to San Diego.

I had it wrong. It is Kearney Pearson Ford. Their parts department phone number is 855-346-9801. I can get you my service guys number. I will need to look that up on my paperwork when I get back down to San Diego.

Thanks. I did find them and sent an email. They did respond and I'll be having my service guy get hold of them directly. I'll take your service guys number and I'll give that to mine also.

Speaking of lights, does anyone know how to change the bulb in the dome light of an 03 - 05 ? My map lights work and so does the Homelink. Most likely the problem is just the bulb but how do I get to it? The manual gives a part number for the bulb but no other instructions. My friendly Ford dealer has no idea what to do either - big surprise!
Thanks, Mark
It was actually very easy. I just used a small screwdriver and carefully pried one of the narrow ends loose, and the entire unit drops down. It's held in place by two sets of wires, which can easily be disconnected, but there's really no need as you can access the dome light by opening the small, hinged metal cover. I replaced mine with an LED, which I found was unidirectional when it didn't light at first. All I had to do was reverse the bulb and on it came.

Back