Lack of T-Birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Ticket Ted

Last seen
I went to a local car show in the Cleveland area. One of our biggest. To my suprise, only a few T-Birds. 1955, 56's and few 60's. I asked one of the car owners why there were only a few and why the 70's were missing. His reply was bad metal and not that many out there.

My first Bird was a 1974 with the big 460. It was to be my baby but it didn't last. Actually went to move it out of the garage one day and it would not move. Looked under the car and saw a puddle of oil. Turned out to be tranny fluid. The transmission pan rusted out and the fluid leaked out. Also had continuous trouble with spongy brakes. The dealer could never fix my complaint. Needless to say, in 1984 I dumped the car and used it as a down payment on a car for the wife. The amount of money I got was pennies. Couldn't sell it outright to a collector even.

Any ideas.

Ticket Ted

2003 White/Red&Black premium

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

.....Ted....When I look back at the '70's and 80's they weren't banner years for the auto industry....restrictions, changes, poor responses and quick fixes....Ironically the 'Bird that started this incerdible hobby/journey for us is our original, unrestored '81 Heritage, we bought three years ago with 176mi. on it. The BoxBird is the Thunderbird at it's worst....also known as the Fairmont 'Bird....Be that as it may, it is unique by virtue of it's condition. I doubt if these models will ever reach collector status and who can place a dollar value on them? Through this car we have had many adventures and met some great folks and good times. It's almost guaranteed it's the only one at the show with the exception, finally, at Kelowna this year, where I met an original owner '82...I think there is more general interest as time goes on. The all Thunderbird shows we've attended, in Canada and the 'States have been well represented by all other years....We are at www.calgarythunderbirdclub.ca ....were you can see our treasures, of which we have a nice cross section. :D

the bad years

The TBird started to resurrect itself in 1983 with the Euro Birds. While the car was still based on the fox chassis, the styling change was stunning.

I had a 1985 TurbCoupe, black, grey interior, 4 sp. The car was fantastic. First brake replacement was in the 90,000 mile range. Never touched the clutch. Car did have a vibration, which Ford refused to fix because the vibration came on about 60-65 and that was over the speed limit in the mid 80's.

Very peppy (not a rocket), with excellant gas mileage.

After I totaled it in 94 (had about 101,000 miles), I bought my present 94, which now has 113,000 miles.

As much as I like the 2003, getting rid of the 94 (when I retire) is going to be a challenge; it's been a great car, except for the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back