Jump Starting a 2002 Ford Thunderbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flinx1

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have to jump start my 2002 Ford Thunderbird.

I know the battery cables are in the trunk, but the battery is dead and there isn't a trunk release to pop the trunk. The keyless entry isn't working as the battery is dead.

How do I get into the trunk or is there another way to jump start the car without having to access the trunk.

Moderator Note:
Wagan has has one. Jumpstart your car in 5-10 minutes without opening the hood.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. Ford foresaw this problem and made it possible to open the trunk when the battery is dead (or disconnected, like mine often is when I know I won't be driving it for a few weeks). Just tilt the driver's seat forward. On the wall behind the seat there is a keyed trunk release - just put the ignition key in and turn it and the rear trunk will open. I mainly use this feature when I have disconnected the battery to prevent it from going dead if I won't be starting the car for a few weeks.

Actually, everyone should try this feature before their battery goes dead. Some have been reported as not working.

Last edited:
jump starting

What do you do if the key entry for the trunk will not open it? I have a 2003 and I have opened the trunk this way before but now it will not work.

Push the chrome button on the lower part of the drivers side door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew that I had heard of a charger like that but when I went to my local auto parts store, Bumper to Bumper, the guy said that wouldn't work because the fuse for the cigarette lighter was too light to allow the voltage or wattage for a charger. He looked at me like "Oh your just a dumb woman". I get that look pretty often now that I have frosted my hair. I did manage to get my trunk open because I realized that the reason it wouldn't open before was that the temperature was over 100 degrees and the metal parts in the trunk lock were expanded because of the excessive heat. We had a few pop up showers yesterday and the temperature dropped to 75 so when I turned the key in the cylinder lock behind the seat it popped right open. Thanks for all your help.
Redbird btw vat19 is an awesome website. thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:
I have an o5 bird and was looking under the hood for points to jump start. I have had several cars with obscure batteries (last one a 04 Dodge Stratus, battery inside fender well). Under the hood there is a positive terminal that allows you to jump start the car. Is there any point under the hood of he 02-05 T-Birds that will allow you to access the positive jump point?

I know the battery cables are in the trunk, but the battery is dead and there isn't a trunk release to pop the trunk. The keyless entry isn't working as the battery is dead.

How do I get into the trunk or is there another way to jump start the car without having to access the trunk.

Moderator Note:

Behind the drivers seat is a manual "key" slot to open the trunk.

Moderator Note:

There is a key switch behind the driver seat , you
I do think there's a device that you can plug into a cigarette lighter socket that will accept a temporary charge into the battery, that way. If so that should give enough juice to open the trunk....possibly your dealer may have something like that

EDIT: Found on web using search for you:

So, any dealer, AAA or good mechanic should be able to help you
there is a key switch behind the driver seat you use the ignition key to manually unlock the trunk ….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back